successful Maroon bells rescue

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

successful Maroon bells rescue

Post by peter303 »

Last edited by peter303 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Re: successful marron bells rescue

Post by James Dziezynski »

About time, some (relatively) good news from North Maroon Peak.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

At least they fixed the "repelled" mistake in the article. :roll:
smrcka
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 116
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smrcka »

Good thing they had a PLB - could have saved their lives!
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. - Mahatma Gandhi

To be aware is to be alive!
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

Not to sound like a jerk, but there seem to be two types of people that would attempt Maroon Bells with dangerous early season snow/ice: extremely experienced people with lots of specialized gear/ or inexperienced people displaying an alarming degree of overconfidence.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

SoCool wrote:Not to sound like a jerk, but there seem to be two types of people that would attempt Maroon Bells with dangerous early season snow/ice: extremely experienced people with lots of specialized gear/ or inexperienced people displaying an alarming degree of overconfidence.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.”
― Rita Mae Brown, Alma Mater
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

smrcka wrote:Good thing they had a PLB - could have saved their lives!
Great to see a positive outcome on the Bells. Here's a pretty cool interactive map which shows rescues from the last three years. Looks like the events for October 2014 have not yet been plotted
http://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/sarsat_rescues_2014.html
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Glad they are alright!
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Re: successful Maroon bells rescue

Post by Exiled Michigander »

It seems like the altitude mentioned in the article for where they hit the emergency button on the PLB (11,500) must be wrong. 11,5000 ft. is only about where the rock glacier is on the standard route, so not even to the so-called "first gully" yet. I'm guessing they were actually much higher up.

So glad they made it out safely. Especially if avalanches were occurring in the gullies, this could have ended very badly. Good work Mountain Rescue Aspen and HAATS.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Exiled Michigander wrote:It seems like the altitude mentioned in the article for where they hit the emergency button on the PLB (11,500) must be wrong. 11,5000 ft. is only about where the rock glacier is on the standard route, so not even to the so-called "first gully" yet. I'm guessing they were actually much higher up.

So glad they made it out safely. Especially if avalanches were occurring in the gullies, this could have ended very badly. Good work Mountain Rescue Aspen and HAATS.
I could see it being around 11,500 feet. I remember there being some pretty exposed terrain down and to the left around the time you leave the rock glacier area and head into the first gully. If they got off route they could have been down in that area around 11,500. In any case, glad to see the SAR teams with a successful rescue!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Tornadoman wrote: I remember there being some pretty exposed terrain down and to the left around the time you leave the rock glacier area
Very steep and grassy mixed in with cliff terrain. It would be miserable and dangerous on that in slick conditions before there is enough snow to make it more passable.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Jcwhite
14ers: 58  55  13 
13ers: 54 3 1
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jcwhite »

11,500 is correct
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson