Fall on Sneffles, September 12.

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
hobo13
14ers: 45 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Fall on Sneffles, September 12.

Post by hobo13 »

khuff6ft6 wrote:
hobo13 wrote:
khuff6ft6 wrote:Forgive me if its written somewhere but what route were you taking to the summit?
We had planned to do the std. route.

But we blew right past the turnoff for that and ended up at Blue Lakes pass. Rather than turn around, we continued up the SW Ridge. It went mostly well, the hard stuff was behind us. But we had some route finding difficulties around 13,900 and I think that's about the point that I fell.
Thank you for clarifying and for sharing your story in a public forum. I and others will remember it the next time Sneffels is the challenge for the day. Well wishes to a speedy recovery
Thanks for your support. My hope was that others could learn from my mistakes, and that I could give thanks to those who volunteer to rescue those in need.

Just last night I opened up my GPS for the first time since the accident. It had been on and recording in my pack. Preliminary data analysis shows that I fell 50 linear feet down the hill (hypotenuse) which was 30 feet of elevation (13930' to 13900' feet). Average speed during the fall was 6.8 mph, with one data point recording a max speed of 9 mph. Total time spent tumbling was about 5 seconds. The slope was 35 degrees.

I'm a data geek so that stuff is kind of fascinating to me -- and a lot easier to analyze 2.5 months later! I don't own a GoPro -- not sure I'd be able to watch the video just yet anyway (or ever!)
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 57 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

oh wow, that's interesting data to capture! Its safe to say that not many people have that info captured from a fall
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal
soccerplaya2090
Trip Reports (1)

Post by soccerplaya2090 »

hobo13 wrote:
khuff6ft6 wrote:Forgive me if its written somewhere but what route were you taking to the summit?

But we blew right past the turnoff for that and ended up at Blue Lakes pass. Rather than turn around, we continued up the SW Ridge. It went mostly well, the hard stuff was behind us. But we had some route finding difficulties around 13,900 and I think that's about the point that I fell.
So did the SAR end up carrying you to the standard route?
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blakhawk »

Thanks for sharing your experience...prob humbling and not an easy thing to share. And its a sobering reminder of what can happen on ANY mountain on ANY trail/route. Glad you made it out OK :)
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Glad that you'll recover.

I focused on the V-notch and while not terribly difficult was well aware that a fall there would not be good. However your story proves an accident can happen anytime and for the need to be careful.

Thanks for sharing!
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
hobo13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hobo13 »

soccerplaya2090 wrote:
hobo13 wrote:

So did the SAR end up carrying you to the standard route?
No, they didn't really move me at all. They built an anchor so they could put the litter right next to me, then helped me slide onto it. The chopper picked me up from that exact spot. I'm sure OMRT could have figured out how to get me down via a manual extraction, but no doubt it would have sucked for me and them both.
hobo13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hobo13 »

blakhawk wrote:Thanks for sharing your experience...prob humbling and not an easy thing to share. And its a sobering reminder of what can happen on ANY mountain on ANY trail/route. Glad you made it out OK :)
It's also cathartic in some ways. Plus, if it helps somebody avoid a similar fate someday, all the better. As my Dad told me 'Son, you don't have time in life to make all the mistakes.... some you're going to have to take my word for.'
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

hobo13 wrote:
blakhawk wrote:Thanks for sharing your experience...prob humbling and not an easy thing to share. And its a sobering reminder of what can happen on ANY mountain on ANY trail/route. Glad you made it out OK :)
It's also cathartic in some ways. Plus, if it helps somebody avoid a similar fate someday, all the better. As my Dad told me 'Son, you don't have time in life to make all the mistakes.... some you're going to have to take my word for.'
That sounds like it's from a movie! Or maybe it's the voice I envisioned in my head. (Babe Ruth's voice from Sandlot)
soccerplaya2090
Trip Reports (1)

Post by soccerplaya2090 »

hobo13 wrote:
No, they didn't really move me at all. They built an anchor so they could put the litter right next to me, then helped me slide onto it. The chopper picked me up from that exact spot. I'm sure OMRT could have figured out how to get me down via a manual extraction, but no doubt it would have sucked for me and them both.
Ahh. I just thought this pic looked like you were on the standard route: http://onemileatatime.img.boardingarea. ... effles.jpg
goingup
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 295 1 4
Trip Reports (33)

Post by goingup »

What a positive person...you sir are fantastic!
through being cool
hobo13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hobo13 »

Hi.

I have nominated the HAATS BlackHawk crew for the Feinberg Award from American Helicopter Society (AHS) which is "Presented to the vertical flight aircraft pilot or crew who demonstrated outstanding skills or achievement during the preceding calendar year." My nomination focuses on the daring rescues of myself and Justin on consecutive days in September.

If anyone is interested in writing an endorsement for the nomination, please send me a PM with your email address so I can send over the information that you need. It probably doesn't need to be more than a few words, but is just one small way to show our appreciation for the missions HAATS undertakes on our behalf.

You can read more about the award here. http://vtol.org/awards-and-contests" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The key is that the deadline for endorsements is tomorrow, Feb 9!