Fall on Sneffles, September 12.

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
hobo13
14ers: 45 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Fall on Sneffles, September 12.

Post by hobo13 »

I had a fall on Sneffles back on September 12. It was 2 days prior to Justin's accident on Capitol. Same HAATS Black Hawk crew responded in both cases.

I wrote up my story on One Mile at a Time, a blog about frequent flyer miles and travel, where I contribute weekly. Excepted here:
“I’m breathing. I can move my hands. I can wiggle my toes. Oh $hit, that leg is definitely not pointing in the right direction. How am I going to get off this mountain?”

Those were my first thoughts as I came to rest face down on a steep rocky slope at 13,900 feet on the side of Mt. Sneffels. I had just tumbled about 30 feet after having misstepped on a rock. My climbing partner and I had been within sight of the summit, but that was of little consequence now. All that mattered was that I was alive but unable to move under my own power.
Travis’ Mountaineering Accident On Mt. Sneffles Part 1

Travis’ Accident Part 2: Flight In The Black Hawk

Sorry for not posting here. Was focused on my recovery for a long time. Doing better now. Hope Justin is too!
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Fall on Sneffles, September 12.

Post by Yikes »

Thanks for sharing your story. It was well written, both funny and exciting.
mr_Chris
14ers: 38 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mr_Chris »

Wow, great read! Glad things turned out ok.

Do you recall specifically the details of when you fell? Were you attempting a move that didn't quite work out or (like the Capitol incident) did the rock just decide to give out at the wrong time?
hobo13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hobo13 »

mr_Chris wrote:Wow, great read! Glad things turned out ok.

Do you recall specifically the details of when you fell? Were you attempting a move that didn't quite work out or (like the Capitol incident) did the rock just decide to give out at the wrong time?
We were traversing along the south side of the ridge toward toward the summit. I had been feeling fatigued -- combination of a poor nights sleep, a drive from the front range, and not being in tip-top shape. I remember thinking 'I really need to sit for a bit' but summit fever was setting in.

So I think what happened was that I didn't pick my foot up high enough to clear a rock and basically tripped. I fell to the downhill side, and apparently it was enough of a drop (few feet) such that I picked up speed, and then started tumbling. And as they say, 'an object at rest tends to stay at rest, while an object in motion.....'

Seems so stupid in hindsight.
KTC88
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (1)

Post by KTC88 »

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was climbing Dallas on the 13th and watched the helicopter conduct your rescue. I remember hoping that it wasn't a life threatening injury. Glad to hear that you're on the road to recovery.
Shawnee Bob
14ers: 22 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Shawnee Bob »

Great story, and glad you all got out OK. SAR and the military rock these rescues.

It looks like you took your fall high in the Lavender Col. Yucky place to do it, lots of loose talus. I love that mountain, but I won't get in the Col unless it's filled with snow if I don't have to. Be sure to revisit that peak, and better yet, do it via the SW Ridge!
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

Wonderful read,glad your doing better----they'd have to send a bigger 'chopper' to lift my fat ass off the mountain(nasty loose col) stay well!!
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

Good read, great writing style.

Sobering, too. Makes me think perhaps all of those solo hikes I do might not be the best idea...
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 57 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

Forgive me if its written somewhere but what route were you taking to the summit?
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal
hobo13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hobo13 »

khuff6ft6 wrote:Forgive me if its written somewhere but what route were you taking to the summit?
We had planned to do the std. route.

But we blew right past the turnoff for that and ended up at Blue Lakes pass. Rather than turn around, we continued up the SW Ridge. It went mostly well, the hard stuff was behind us. But we had some route finding difficulties around 13,900 and I think that's about the point that I fell.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Great story. Thanks for sharing.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 57 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

hobo13 wrote:
khuff6ft6 wrote:Forgive me if its written somewhere but what route were you taking to the summit?
We had planned to do the std. route.

But we blew right past the turnoff for that and ended up at Blue Lakes pass. Rather than turn around, we continued up the SW Ridge. It went mostly well, the hard stuff was behind us. But we had some route finding difficulties around 13,900 and I think that's about the point that I fell.
Thank you for clarifying and for sharing your story in a public forum. I and others will remember it the next time Sneffels is the challenge for the day. Well wishes to a speedy recovery
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal