Longs peak hiker missing

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
GA_peach
14ers: 58 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Longs peak hiker missing

Post by GA_peach »

Very sad, I had been following this and had hoped for better but feared this was going to be the outcome, RIP.

Alan
There's a fine line between hardcore and stupidity.
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

It doesn't take much on Longs... a little ice, hard wind... this was a late August trip a few years back.
116-Longs2 (Medium).jpg
116-Longs2 (Medium).jpg (231.15 KiB) Viewed 2900 times
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Yikes. That would be a deal-breaker for me, if only because I would assume that the Narrows would also be like that. (note: that's the Ledges, right? Or is that Keplingers in the background?)
Last edited by Hungry Jack on Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
please rotate your device
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Hungry Jack wrote:Yikes. That would be a deal-breaker for me, if only because I would assume that the Narrows would also be like that. (note: that's the Ledges, right?)
When I climbed Long's in early late October it was much worse than that. The Narrows were covered.
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 57 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

The ledges were where this hiker fell...that pic appears to be the narrows. In dry conditions the ledges are easy to follow because of the bulls eyes painted on the rocks. There is a decent amount of ups and downs to negotiate the easiest way to the trough. With snow, ice, 80mph winds it'd be treacherous. RIP to the fallen hiker and condolences to the family.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

khuff6ft6 wrote:The ledges were where this hiker fell...that pic appears to be the narrows. In dry conditions the ledges are easy to follow because of the bulls eyes painted on the rocks. There is a decent amount of ups and downs to negotiate the easiest way to the trough. With snow, ice, 80mph winds it'd be treacherous. RIP to the fallen hiker and condolences to the family.
Yup. I had initially thought that was the Trough in the background, but it's Keplingers. The Ledges aren't quite that exposed save one spot near the Keyhole, IIRC. But any ice or snow changes the dynamic completely.
please rotate your device
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Hungry Jack wrote:
khuff6ft6 wrote:The ledges were where this hiker fell...that pic appears to be the narrows. In dry conditions the ledges are easy to follow because of the bulls eyes painted on the rocks. There is a decent amount of ups and downs to negotiate the easiest way to the trough. With snow, ice, 80mph winds it'd be treacherous. RIP to the fallen hiker and condolences to the family.
Yup. I had initially thought that was the Trough in the background, but it's Keplingers. The Ledges aren't quite that exposed save one spot near the Keyhole, IIRC. But any ice or snow changes the dynamic completely.
Yeah I remember when I did it, there was snow covering the bulls eyes on the way back. It was pretty hard to find my way back. Had to take a lot of time on a few sections to make sure I was headed the right way. I imagine right now there is so much snow after the storms, that nearly all of them would be covered and route finding could be really tough.
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.