Kelso Avalanche

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Kelso Avalanche

Post by ameristrat »

Praying for you Natalie - and for Chris's family. I know I've made decisions in the mountains I wasn't 100% comfortable with - this is a heartbreaking reminder that maybe I've been blessed to be lucky in a few of those situations.

Don't be afraid to lean on the incredible support network you've got around you - we're all here for you.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Very sorry to read about this. What a sad start to the new year! My condolences and sympathy to Natalie and Chris' friends and family.
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

So sad to hear about this. My prayers go out to the families of the fallen hiker and to those who survived.
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

Posted on FB, but neglected to post here.
This, along with the Silverton avalanche fatality continue to be on my mind.

Natalie, I hope you feel the genuine compassion from this group. We are all mourning with you. The same for Chris's family & friends, and the third climber in your group.

In addition to the awe of the mountains, what attracted me to climbing 6 years ago was the demonstration of care and support I saw on this forum.
Yes, there are threads that can make you want to pull your hair out, but I continue to be overwhelmed by the caring outreach of people on this site, both to those in need and to those who want to learn.

Special thanks, thoughts and prayers for safety to search & rescue crews.