Kelso Avalanche

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Kelso Avalanche

Post by onebyone »

Our decision making simply increases or decreases the luck factor. I have a feeling that many of us have been very lucky on more than a few occasions and have narrowly escaped bad luck. I know I have. I stopped going into the back county in winter because I thought I was pushing my luck and the danger was just so subjective.
Thanks for sharing and sorry about the news. I'm sure your story might save someone else's life down the line.
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

Natalie, so sorry to hear the news! SJ Ron
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Natalie, I just posted on your FB page, but I'll add it here as well.

I am so sorry you are experiencing this loss of a climbing partner. I am convinced it's one of the hardest things in life. When my friend Steve G died on Thunder Pyramid, I cried (mostly uncontrollably) on and off for 16 days in a row. I will commit to praying for you during this horrible time.

My sincere condolences to Chris's family and friends.
Last edited by globreal on Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craigjhn
14ers: 47  1  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by craigjhn »

Natalie:

So sorry to hear about this. I can't imagine how you must be feeling, but I hope you don't beat yourself up too much about this. There is only one way to avoid all accidents in the mountains, and that is just to never go out at all. This just seems like such a random thing. The skiers got across. One of them came back (I think I read). You got across. And then the thing slides. I guess this slope was on the lower end of ones that slide. Several people made the decision to cross that area based on (I assume) knowledge about avalanches. I imagine Chris also must have had some pretty decent avalanche training. Based on their best guesses, they all made the decision to cross that path. And a bad thing happened. It is a very imperfect science.

You cannot go out into the Colorado backcountry in the winter (or most any other time) without some exposure to risk. We who love going up into the high places cannot avoid traveling on slopes where we are exposed to all kinds of dangers. I think of all the deaths in past years of very experienced climbers and skiers. People who lived long lives of adventure in the mountains, gained a wealth of knowledge and experience, yet still die from an accident in the mountains. You can't say these things only happen to beginners or those who lack experience. It happens to the very best of them as we all know too well. These objective dangers are a random thing. The only protection from them is not to go into the mountains at all. But then you can also die in bed from an airplane crashing into your house, among all kinds of other things. So Natalie, I hope you can get some peace. I hope you get back out there. Also my deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Chris.
highcountryhiker
14ers: 27 
13ers: 82
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highcountryhiker »

Natalie, sorry you and the other person who joined you at the trailhead had to experience this tragedy. Hope you will find strength and comfort in the coming days.

My sincere condolences to Chris’ family and friends for your loss. RIP Shearmodulus.
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

Natalie,

Thank you for sharing your honest and detailed account of what happened. I believe that it will help many people in subtle and meaningful ways. In this particular type of team situation, I would be very prone to not "being more vocal", in the end, taking the lead from others within the group. Makes me realize, this needs to change immediately.

In this difficult time, I hope that you are able to remember that as individuals, each of us must own the decisions that we make. Even in a team situation, we all contribute towards the outcome. Placing responsibility onto your shoulders is too much for one person to bear, and I pray that you do not carry that burden.

My condolences to the family and friends of Chris.
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

There's a nice article about Christopher in the Colorado Springs Gazette today:
Rugged, outdoor experiences brought peace to soldier who died in avalanche, friends say.

Soldier, NOLS graduate, husband, and yes, very experienced mountaineer. R.I.P.
ColoradoGuy
14ers: 22 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

I've climbed that broad and steep southern slope of Kelso Mountain ... in the summer.

So sad. RIP.
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

My thoughts and prayers with his family. Truly crappy for anyone, but someone who has served our country with honor and was doing something he loved, so tragic.

Thank you Natalie for your information and sorry you couldnt do more.

Forgive me if it has been posted here but I didnt see it, Natalie said the forum lost another member and I am curious what he screen name was? With so many people to hike with, often we only meet by screen name at many gatherings.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

somethingrandom wrote: Forgive me if it has been posted here but I didnt see it, Natalie said the forum lost another member and I am curious what the screen name was? With so many people to hike with, often we only meet by screen name at many gatherings.
Shearmodulus
Last edited by SnowAlien on Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hacksaw
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hacksaw »

nkan02 wrote:Shearmodulus
Are you talking snowpack?
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Hacksaw wrote:
nkan02 wrote:Shearmodulus
Are you talking snowpack?
That was Chris' (the victim in the avalanche) username on here.