An old but bizarre accident

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

An old but bizarre accident

Post by polar »

I’m browsing the ANAM web site while eating lunch (weirdo!), and came across this rare and bizarre accident. Thought I’d share!

Summary: a hiker retreating from the Keyhole route on Longs Peak was lifted off the ground (literately) by strong wind and slammed into a pile of rocks, resulting in injury. The hiker weighed 170 lbs and was carrying a 70 lbs pack (a combined weight of 240 lbs!).

http://publications.americanalpineclub. ... Longs-Peak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: An old but bizarre accident

Post by bergsteigen »

That is a real worry I've had periodically over the years, since I have been lifted off the ground before by wind. It scared the crap out of me at the time, as I was on my college campus walking between classes at the time. I almost called my first ascent of Maroon Peak due to intense wind. Thankfully it was only localized wind on a saddle that scared me.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

I can relate. I was lifted off my feet by a gust of wind on West Spanish Peak while solo hiking. NOT fun..... :shock:
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Wind is no small issue - with more exposure the worse it is. These guys walked (sort of) away thankful to be alive. Don't take chances in wind like that.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

polar wrote:I’m browsing the ANAM web site while eating lunch (weirdo!), and came across this rare and bizarre accident. Thought I’d share!

Summary: a hiker retreating from the Keyhole route on Longs Peak was lifted off the ground (literately) by strong wind and slammed into a pile of rocks, resulting in injury. The hiker weighed 170 lbs and was carrying a 70 lbs pack (a combined weight of 240 lbs!).

http://publications.americanalpineclub. ... Longs-Peak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not surprising. Winds in excess of 75-100 MPH have been known to blow climbers off of mountains quite frequently, not to mention what they do to tents (or in some cases tents with people in them)! I remember reading about Julie Tullis' ascent of K2 a few years ago where she got caught in 100+ MPH winds on the descent and was blown 8000 feet off the mountain to the glacier. I've been knocked over a few times during climbs when gusts of 40-60 MPH blew over ridges. Winds in the 10 Mile/Mosquito Range and West Elks were often the culprit. Man the wind can really blow there!
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Upwardlybound
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Upwardlybound »

I believe it. My daughter and I hiked up to Chasm Lake on Longs a few years ago in late December (temp well below zero). The wind was forecast to blow in excess of 70 mph, and having endured a few hurricanes, I believe every mph of it. Some of the hike was more like one step forward and two steps blown backward. It was fun, though, and made for good memories.
"He who forms the mountains, creates the wind, and reveals His thoughts to men, He who turns dawn to darkness, and treads the high places of the earth -- the Lord God Almighty is His name." Amos 4:13
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Apologies in advance if this is uncalled for, but - first thought that came to mind reading the summary is, what on earth was he doing with a 70-lb pack on the Keyhole??
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

AlexeyD wrote:Apologies in advance if this is uncalled for, but - first thought that came to mind reading the summary is, what on earth was he doing with a 70-lb pack on the Keyhole??
Carrying a kettlebell, of course, and starting the Crossfit rage.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Keep in mind that 74 MPH is a Category 1 hurricane. Certainly something to think about when looking at wind forecasts!

This article states these guys experienced winds that were estimated at 150. That would be a Category 4 hurricane, so I guess it really should not be surprising when winds like this are picking people up when they are equivalent to winds that literally tear roofs off homes and rip trees out of the ground. :shock:
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

kaiman wrote:I remember reading about Julie Tullis' ascent of K2 a few years ago where she got caught in 100+ MPH winds on the descent and was blown 8000 feet off the mountain to the glacier.
I thought she died of HACE/HAPE on the descent. I've read that she fell, and was caught by belay, but sustained injury that likely contributed to death while they were pinned down in a storm.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

AlexeyD wrote:Apologies in advance if this is uncalled for, but - first thought that came to mind reading the summary is, what on earth was he doing with a 70-lb pack on the Keyhole??
Ha! We all thought the same thing. The article clarifies that they were exiting the Boulder field when the accident happened. Probably camped there planning to summit and decided to leave when the winds picked up.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

KentonB wrote:
Ha! We all thought the same thing. The article clarifies that they were exiting the Boulder field when the accident happened. Probably camped there planning to summit and decided to leave when the winds picked up.
Ah, I see - that's what I get for not actually reading the article :) Still...a 70-pound pack for an overnight trip takes some doing!