An old but bizarre accident

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Flips
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 101 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: An old but bizarre accident

Post by Flips »

I've thought seriously about wearing a helmet at all times on my hikes. Windy days push me (no pun intended) closer to that habit.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Didn't one of the Pikes Peak AdAmAn club guys get injured in a wind accident a couple years ago?
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

A few years back, when I was new to the forum, I was attempting Lincoln with a hiking partner and I turned back just before the saddle because I was knocked over by a strong gust of wind. Just a guess, but maybe 70 MPH. Everyone descending was reporting stronger winds up higher. Dude was kind of a meathead and would later reference how "Jeff can't handle a little wind" on his blog, but I don't mess around with wind. 6 feet tall, 155 pounds, and 70 mph, that's not favorable physics at all. I like to fly, but not that way.
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Steve Climber wrote:
kaiman wrote:I remember reading about Julie Tullis' ascent of K2 a few years ago where she got caught in 100+ MPH winds on the descent and was blown 8000 feet off the mountain to the glacier.
I thought she died of HACE/HAPE on the descent. I've read that she fell, and was caught by belay, but sustained injury that likely contributed to death while they were pinned down in a storm.
Yep, you're right. I am thinking of Alison Hargreaves and not Julie Tullis. Sorry, the stories from Jennifer Jordan's Savage Summit are all blurring together. Time to reread that book I guess... :oops:
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Whenever I walk through a blow-down area, I marvel at how strong the wind must have been. Some trees are uprooted and others are snapped off and splintered.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

MountainHiker wrote:Whenever I walk through a blow-down area, I marvel at how strong the wind must have been. Some trees are uprooted and others are snapped off and splintered.
May not be as strong as you imagine, if used to seeing small things break. But as you scale something in height (x^1), surface area can increase on the square (x^2), and mass/volume gets cubed (x^3) or so. So a taller tree is a bigger sail acting through a longer lever on a wider trunk (radius) whose outer/inner surfaces see more tension/compression. Snapping a dried twig can seem explosive, but if you've seen tree trimmers in town like when they clear old dead trees, or felled some yourself, it's more like a collapse and breaking apart. All you have to do is get it to it's tipping point and let gravity take over. The *thud* it creates sure makes you look twice at what you're pitching your tent near though! 8-[ Now seeing what a tornado can do to trees is a whole different matter! :shock:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
GreenHorn
Trip Reports (4)

Post by GreenHorn »

Flips wrote: Windy days push me (no pun intended) closer to that habit.
A habit is definitely not the answer! Haven't you seen The Flying Nun?
cougar
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

a few years back, Jon Krakauer attempted Longs Peak on a very windy day, and changed plans to climb MLW instead due to the wind. He was tossed around the boulders and came down battered and bloody.

I've been picked off my feet atop the loft and blown off my feet a few times around Longs and other places (most recently this spring atop MLW where I had to crawl off the summit). A climbing partner had a softball sized rock fly past his head up there, missed him by a couple feet. So wearing a helmet during high winds is a good idea.
GreenHorn wrote:
Flips wrote: Windy days push me (no pun intended) closer to that habit.
A habit is definitely not the answer! Haven't you seen The Flying Nun?
:)
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

JQDivide wrote:Didn't one of the Pikes Peak AdAmAn club guys get injured in a wind accident a couple years ago?
Yes, in the 2011/12 climb. http://www.adaman.org/newsletters/AdAmA ... 012-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AdAmAn member Mark Szabo captured a picture of the output from the summit weather station shortly after we arrived at the summit. The max wind gust of the day clocked in at 110.6 mph! The last half mile of the climb was brutal. Members often found themselves on all fours crawling into the wind towards the summit or blown completely off their feet by a sudden wind gust. Carl Lindeman was injured when a wind gust sent him cartwheeling in the boulders south east of the summit. He injured his knee and couldn't stand at all.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

Has anybody had the experience where they could hear the wind gust coming? On my first attempt of Humboldt I was below the saddle and we could hear the 70mph gusts hit the summit about five seconds before we would get hit. It was pretty cool and scary but gave us ample time to get down on all fours before being blasted...
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

JROSKA wrote:Dude was kind of a meathead and would later reference how "Jeff can't handle a little wind" on his blog
That’s a total dick move. Everyone has a different risk tolerance. One can choose not to climb with someone, but one shouldn’t disrespect others’ risk tolerance. He sounds like someone I wouldn’t want to climb with!
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
mtgirl
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

jrs1965 wrote:Has anybody had the experience where they could hear the wind gust coming?
Yes, the time I was blown off my feet on West Spanish Peak, I heard what sounded like a freight train coming. I didn't know what to make of it, because it hadn't been the least bit windy during the hike, and I was near the summit. Lesson learned..... #-o
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."