Two climbers rescued after fall on Crestone Needle

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Custer County SAR
Trip Reports (0)

Two climbers rescued after fall on Crestone Needle

Post by Custer County SAR »

CCSAR wanted to share this mission with the 14ers.com forum and also to remind everyone that conditions on Crestone Needle and Crestone Peak are very icy. Many thanks to HAATs, CSRB and to all our mutual aid SAR responders.

http://custersar.org/two-climbers-rescu ... ne-needle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/CusterSAR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Always tell someone where you're going and when you'll be back, even if you aren’t hiking alone.
That person should also know what vehicle you are driving, what trail head you will be parked at and what your intended route is.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Two climbers rescued after fall on Crestone Needle

Post by polar »

Wow, sounded like the pair had an anchor failure, which usually doesn't end up very well. Glad everyone made it out ok, thank you to CCSAR for doing such an amazing job.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Wow, scary! Good job on extracting themselves from the most difficult terrain, thereby sparing the rescue team a possibly dangerous and time-consuming high-angle rescue.

Gotta say, Ellingwood Arete in April is an interesting route choice...
ulvetano
14ers: 58  10  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

Yikes, indeed. I can only imagine taking a tumble in those gullies on the descent. Nice job to self rescue to the lake and of course kudos to SAR!
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

AlexeyD wrote: Gotta say, Ellingwood Arete in April is an interesting route choice...
Any time you ascend one route and descend another, you add a degree of risk. Not saying it should never be done, and not saying these kids made a mistake. Maybe they'd done the standard route on the Needle a bunch of times before. Maybe never. But usually, when things go wrong, it's because of not just one thing but list of little "coulda-done-this" and "shoulda-done-thats" that cumulatively increase one's risk exposure to a point where "bad luck" has a reasonable chance of taking a foothold.

I'm pretty sure you could get some folks from the insurance world to formulate some sort of accident predictor algorithm.

Glad the climbers are OK, and props to the folks at SAR for their efforts.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

doggler wrote:
AlexeyD wrote: Gotta say, Ellingwood Arete in April is an interesting route choice...
Any time you ascend one route and descend another, you add a degree of risk. Not saying it should never be done, and not saying these kids made a mistake. Maybe they'd done the standard route on the Needle a bunch of times before. Maybe never. But usually, when things go wrong, it's because of not just one thing but list of little "coulda-done-this" and "shoulda-done-thats" that cumulatively increase one's risk exposure to a point where "bad luck" has a reasonable chance of taking a foothold.

I'm pretty sure you could get some folks from the insurance world to formulate some sort of accident predictor algorithm.

Glad the climbers are OK, and props to the folks at SAR for their efforts.
I agree. My comment was unrelated to the cause of their accident. I apologize if anyone else interpreted it as otherwise.