successful Mt Flora snowshoer rescue May 17

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

successful Mt Flora snowshoer rescue May 17

Post by peter303 »

Mt. Flora is a 13er near Berthoud Pass.
Current late winter conditions challenging for even experienced hikers.
http://kdvr.com/2015/05/17/littleton-sn ... icy-ledge/
billrwathier
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: successful Mt Flora snowshoer rescue May 17

Post by billrwathier »

Thankfully he is alright. I'm planning on heading up to Quandary this week and reading this news story makes me think twice.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

"Frozen ledge" = cornice? Come on, media!
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Yikes »

He seems fine in the video; wondering why he just didn't walk back to the car....
habaceeba
14ers: 27 
13ers: 93 1 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by habaceeba »

Yikes wrote:He seems fine in the video; wondering why he just didn't walk back to the car....
If he started at Berthoud Pass and walked off a cornice, he likely fell onto the east side of the mountain. In whiteout conditions, it was probably impossible to find a way back up and over.
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

AlexeyD wrote:"Frozen ledge" = cornice? Come on, media!
Yeah, that's kind of a disappointing error. Seems like there's a stupid mistake like this every time a mountain mishap reaches the news. Part of reporting a story involves research. You'd think that someone on the "behind the scenes" staff, especially in Colorado, would prevent inaccuracies like this from reaching the final story. I suppose in the end, with all that's going on in the national news and local community, a calculation is made that stories and accounts of mountain-climbing isn't really that important. I suppose they are right in that assessment.