Lightning Strike on Mt Bierstadt

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Coloradogoat
14ers: 2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Lightning Strike on Mt Bierstadt

Post by Coloradogoat »

Hope everyone is ok.http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/lo ... -bierstadt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Coloradogoat on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Lightning strike

Post by Jim Davies »

About 15 people injured. Hoping for a positive outcome.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
thatmushroom
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by thatmushroom »

"Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum."

According to the link, 15 or 16 people injured. Best wishes to all caught in it, and a preemptive thanks to SAR.
tobiasfunke
14ers: 31  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tobiasfunke »

Avalanches, bears, and falls from great exposure might gather the most attention, but lightnight is the greatest objective risk in the mountains. The conditions didn't look bad to me today as I gazed out on the Front Range, but I have a heavy amount of respect for lightning and want to be off the mountain by noon no matter what. Be safe everyone.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

thatmushroom wrote:"Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum."

According to the link, 15 or 16 people injured. Best wishes to all caught in it, and a preemptive thanks to SAR.
+1
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

geol_climber wrote:Who cares? this is dumb. how many lighting strikes do you think there are that the news doesn't catch. bottom line...be safe.. ](*,)
I think friends and family of the 15 people who were injured might care. Bottom line ... have a heart.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
laswa-guide
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 136
Trip Reports (0)

Post by laswa-guide »

Wow! I climbed Bierstadt. Got back to the parking lot about 11:30 just as the rain started. Then there were a number of lightning flashes and loud thunder. Well over 100 folks were still on the trail including some at the summit and some on their way up. About 1/2 way to G'town, we saw a police car, then ambulance, sheriff, another ambulance, and fire truck. At G'town several search & rescue crews were on the way.

There were 2 CO 14ers Initiative stewards on the trail.

Our prayers to all involved.
mlbdenver
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mlbdenver »

kushrocks wrote:
thatmushroom wrote:"Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum."

+1
+100
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Yikes »

And a dog died... crap. This day now officially sucks. :(
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

Yikes! The really scary and unfortunate part is how it sounds like it built up so quickly and a little earlier than most of us might expect. I hope everyone recovers well, and my heart goes out to the dog owner who lost their companion today. =(
Floriado
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Floriado »

hope everyone is well.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Hope everyone recovers. Very sad about the dog. Stark remember about how quickly weather can get bad when atop a mountain.
Century Bound, eventually.