SAR on Blanca 7/10 and 7/11

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
jana1969
Trip Reports (0)

Re: SAR on Blanca 7/10 and 7/11

Post by jana1969 »

We'd love to get our story out there... it was quite an experience. There seemed to be a lot of confusion. We heard that the rescue team was going by cell phone pings and were looking for us miles and miles from where we were. The flight for life rescue helicopter was apparently new and gave the wrong coordinates...
jana1969
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jana1969 »

Of course, we made our own mistakes and would do things differently if we had it to do over. We're just so very appreciate of everyone who helped in our search...
duncanmil
14ers: 58 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by duncanmil »

Having done the same thing on Mt. Lindsey, I completely understand how a person can go down the wrong side of the mountain. I got confused by the false summit picture on 14ers.com, an overcast sky, and not really paying attention to the entrance to the correct gully when I was climbing up. It was on a Friday and I had the mountain to myself. By the time I realized what I had done I was already on some class 4 rock and to tired to climb back up. Fortunately, once I got back to solid ground I had cell service and called a relative who looked me up on Google Earth and told me how to find the trail again. After that experience I now carry a GPS so I can track back the way I came, plus a SOS Spot. At age 60 I love to climb and am in shape to do so. I have submitted 38 of the peaks. But I am still surprised at how easy it is to get confused in the mountains. Glad you were okay.