Death on Paiute Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Death on Paiute Peak

Post by Furthermore »

Condolences to her family.

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-coun ... r-mitchell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.9news.com/story/news/2015/07 ... /30736211/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Death on Paiute Peak

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Tara Breed passed away on Paiute Peak last week.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_2858 ... aiute-peak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I met Tara last Fall when I was coming down from an 11er near Mt Zirkel. She'd just climbed Zirkel and was headed on to Flattop Mtn. The weather was deteriorating. She asked me if she was headed the right way. It's a long flat ridge and I pointed out a more direct line, and warned her that it was still a long way away. I was a little concerned about the weather until I noticed her clothing and equipment, and her legs, and could tell she was experienced in the mountains, and probably a runner. I asked her if she ran, and she said she did. I realized she'd be up the peak and back down and past me before I ever made it out myself, and wished her luck.

Sure enough, she came running down in the rain behind me a while later. We were down in the trees but still a long ways from the TH. I got out of the way so she could go on, but she wanted to talk. I'm slow, and I told her I wasn't able to go fast and that she should go on ahead and get out of the rain. She could see I don't move normally and asked why I was slow. I just said I had a bad leg after an old accident but was fine. She pressed, so I told her about my accident and how the leg/ankle never healed correctly, and she told me about her career as an occupational therapist. She was understanding and encouraging, and never once made me feel like I shouldn't be out there. She didn't care at all about the rain and we just talked the whole time out, with her going my pace, even though I offered several times that she should just leave me behind. If she was concerned about me and didn't want to leave because of that, she never let on or made me feel inadequate. She must have been really good at her job. She invited me on several climbs over the winter, but I didn't want to be in the way. We did one hike before work in Golden, and hiked the Signal Mtns together this spring. I wish I'd had more time with her.

I went through our last email correspondence after I heard about her death. She had asked me if I knew Dave Mackey, and said he'd been in an accident that was similar to but much more severe than mine. She was so concerned about him and was looking for any resources that might help. I'm sure some of the running community here knew her.

She was clearly a special individual who cared deeply about everyone she met. I'll miss her.

Here is a link to her obituary.
http://www.deefuneralhome.com/obituarie ... ituaryInfo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

RIP,Tara. Condolences to her family and friends.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
tlerunner
14ers: 27 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tlerunner »

Teresa, thanks for sharing. You never know the impact you or others have on lives around them.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

That is a nice story Teresa. I did not know Tara well, but I had met her several times through our mutual friend Dave Mackey and I'll never forget what a friendly and truly genuine person she was. Despite not knowing her well, I have been particularly saddened by her passing, just yet another reminder that life is unpredictable and to value every day.
Last edited by Jeff Valliere on Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Condolences and prayers for comfort and strength for Tara's family and friends. May she rest in peace forever, and may her memory always be a blessing.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

Tara was a fellow CMC member and came with us on our trip to climb Mt. Ararat in Turkey and Musala in Bulgaria. She also was in Nepal on an Everest Base Camp trek when the earthquakes occurred. She was an experienced and strong athlete and a very nice person.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Not good. She sounds like a great gal. Condolences.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

Heartbreaking. Prayers for her family and friends. It sounds like she spent her last day in a place she truly loved - a comforting thought in a desperately sad situation.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
broncotw
14ers: 48 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by broncotw »

Horrible! My thoughts and prayers and with her and her family!
Ted from TEXAS!