Death on Crestone Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Death on Crestone Peak

Post by mtgirl »

Such a tragic loss of a young life. RIP Christopher. My condolences to his friends, family, and climbing partners that day. Also, many thanks to the SAR teams for their service and professionalism.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Terrible stuff, my condolences to the family. The Chieftain article states he fell 800 feet in the red gully. I know it is steep but hard to believe you could tumble that far.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Scotzman
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 7 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Scotzman »

This from the post on the 14ers FB page: "Yes, as a member of Saguache County SAR this was heartbreaking. He tried to navigate a snow field with Yaktracks and lost his footing and tumbled down.....Two weeks ago a woman who was 10 weeks pregnant fell in the same spot and broke her femur. She is okay."

I think it's easy to think of the volume of people hiking these mountains and the very few incidents that happen and be lulled into a false sense of security. Always be vigilant in our pursuit of our wonderful sport/passion and be thankful for each moment we can soak in.
Scotzman
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Condolences and prayers for comfort and strength for Christopher's family and friends. May he rest in peace, and may his memory always be a blessing.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
JGiffinPhotog
14ers: 51  1 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JGiffinPhotog »

Hate this. So sad. :( Thoughts out to his friends and family.
http://www.jgiffinphotos.com

"...Let's go exploring!" - Bill Watterson
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

I want to send condolences to the victim and friends and family. Last year, I fell down the red gully approximately 200 feet when I was on my way down a snow field that was super soft and my crampons weren't gripping. I got incredibly lucky in that I only suffered a sprained ankle and nothing more. All I will say about this mountain & snow is avoid it. It makes this mountain a lot more challenging and based on the direction the red gully faces, it gets a lot of sunlight that changes snow conditions quickly. RIP...
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Checked in to check the weather forecast and saw this.

Sad to hear this. Condolences to Christopher's family and friends.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
broncotw
14ers: 48 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by broncotw »

HORRIBLE! Condolences to his family and friends!
Ted from TEXAS!