Fatal accident on Crestone Needle

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
JenGa
14ers: 58 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Fatal accident on Crestone Needle

Post by JenGa »

RIP Matthew.
BagginPeaks
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 44 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BagginPeaks »

I generally try and stay out of the accidents page, but this one has struck me with curiosity. From what little I have read, he was on the Ellingwood Arete route. This is a route I have had my eye on for a couple years now. And with the utmost respect, I just have to ask.. Was he soloing or was he with a partner? Was he roped or unroped when he fell? Did a piece of gear fail or did he fall before they were roped up?

RIP Mathew, condolences to the family and friends that will be missing you.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

RIP, Dr. Matthew Davis. Thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends, and the fine individuals who devote their time to SAR teams.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

Terribly tragic. The only positive thing is that he died doing something he enjoyed.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
Custer County SAR
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Custer County SAR »

He had a climbing partner and they had finished the direct start with no issues. As we understand it, the fall occurred while the pair were crossing the class 3 section, while un-roped. His climbing partner was able to down climb and determine that he did not survive the fall.
https://www.facebook.com/CusterSAR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Always tell someone where you're going and when you'll be back, even if you aren’t hiking alone.
That person should also know what vehicle you are driving, what trail head you will be parked at and what your intended route is.
anasarca76
14ers: 57 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (5)

Post by anasarca76 »

My condolences to the fallen climbers friends and family. Be safe out there everyone!
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Condolences to Dr. Davis's friends and family. I was also eyeing Ellingwood Ledges (aka Ellingwood Arete) this year, but wasn't able to get on it due to work-related travels. It's very sad to hear about this accident. There are a lot of exposed class 3/class 4 terrain on this route where most would scramble unroped for speed, but any slip on those easier section can have very dire consequences.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
Upwardlybound
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Upwardlybound »

Thanks for the update, CCS&R. Your work is very much appreciated. My heartfelt condolences to the family. Be safe out there everyone. Tragedy can happen when and where you least expect it.
"He who forms the mountains, creates the wind, and reveals His thoughts to men, He who turns dawn to darkness, and treads the high places of the earth -- the Lord God Almighty is His name." Amos 4:13
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Polar/Baggin Peaks: I've been on the route twice, doing both the older Head Crack variation, which IMO has fallen out of favor, as well as the newer variation with the dihedral/crack finish. Both are pretty straightforward, protect well on relatively solid rock. IMO opinion the safety crux of the climb is the long class 3 scramble up to the climbing cruxes. The terrain gets progressively steeper where a fall could quickly build momentum, it's too long to pitch out, and good protection opportunities sparse. Think steeper staircase climbing with alpine grass…the kind that could get slick when wet. As you suspect, Polar, if you slipped there it could get dire very quickly. Personally I wouldn't do that section in any sort of marginal weather, or even within a day of prior rain, but that's just conservative-when-unroped me.

Condolences to the fallen climber, RIP.

-Tom