Missing hikers in the area of Missouri/Oxford/Belford

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
lortega121
Trip Reports (0)

Missing hikers in the area of Missouri/Oxford/Belford

Post by lortega121 »

A search for two missing female hikers with two dogs commenced this morning in the Missouri gulch area. The hikers are thought to have planned to hike Missouri, Oxford, and Belford with an anticipated return home of 9:00pm on Wednesday. When the women did not return a family member contacted the local Sheriff's Office at approximately 1:00am on Thursday after the car was confirmed to be at the Missouri Trailhead. A search began at approximately 7:00am Thursday. Cell phones were attempted to ping, without success. The Chaffee County Sheriff's Office, Chaffee County SAR-North, Chaffee County SAR-South, Chaffee County Emergency Management, State of Colorado Multi-Mission Aircraft, and Flight For Life are aiding in the search. If you have any information please contact Derek Bos through the Chaffee County dispatch center at 719-539-2596.
lortega121
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing hikers in the area of Missouri/Oxford/Belford

Post by lortega121 »

Both parties have been located, and appear safe. The rescuers are working on getting them down off the mountain.
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Post by Nelson »

http://www.chaffeecountytimes.com/free_ ... 4a466.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

I am glad that this had such a happy ending. Thank goodness for the search and rescue teams! =D>
Kmayer94
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kmayer94 »

Thank you so much for all of your support and help. We are both happy to be home.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Kmayer94 wrote:Thank you so much for all of your support and help. We are both happy to be home.

you gotta tell the story. What happened?
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Voshkm
14ers: 19  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voshkm »

you are killing us here... I intend to take a group of teenagers on a Missbelox trip and would love to here what to avoid thank you
scottda
14ers: 25  2 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scottda »

Voshkm wrote:you are killing us here... I intend to take a group of teenagers on a Missbelox trip and would love to here what to avoid thank you
1) Please, tell me you are camping in the basin.

2) I would suggest do Bel/Ox on one day and Missouri on another day.

3) If you are set on doing all 3 in one day then do Bel/Ox and descend to Elk Head pass and down to the Missouri trail.

4) DO NOT try and descend Missouri via the east ridge.

How much experience do these teenagers have? These will be long days even if done as suggested in #2.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." ~ Edward Abbey

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" ~ Edward Abbey

flickr
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Voshkm wrote:you are killing us here... I intend to take a group of teenagers on a Missbelox trip and would love to here what to avoid thank you
Avoid getting lost.

:mrgreen:
dnye
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dnye »

scottda wrote:

3) If you are set on doing all 3 in one day then do Bel/Ox and descend to Elk Head pass and down to the Missouri trail.

How much experience do these teenagers have? These will be long days even if done as suggested in #2.
I would suggest Missouri first, then Bel/Ox. Coming down Bel/Ox when tired is easier than Missouri (in my opinion).
scottda
14ers: 25  2 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scottda »

dnye wrote:
scottda wrote:

I would suggest Missouri first, then Bel/Ox. Coming down Bel/Ox when tired is easier than Missouri (in my opinion).
Either way. Just don't do the Missouri east ridge. Stick to the standard trail.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." ~ Edward Abbey

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" ~ Edward Abbey

flickr
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

If you have to ask this, you should not.