Fatality on Crestone Needle

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: Fatality on Crestone Needle

Post by d_baker »

onebyone wrote:
d_baker wrote:Class ratings can be subjective to one's experience. I wouldn't say everyone knows class 3 here or there.
If the move is 15 feet off flat ground it is class 2. If the same move is off a ledge with 800 feet vertical drop off, it is class 4+ LOL
Your lol and subjective interpretation of what class 2 and class 4+ is different than most I've heard.

Although I think Fire is right, Bill shouldn't have to add much more if anything to the route description. The TH sign should be a lot more obvious to hikers going up there. Not everyone uses this site, and it still doesn't matter with experience level, accidents happen. Sometimes from poor decisions made, or just a simple slip.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

d_baker wrote:
onebyone wrote:
d_baker wrote:Class ratings can be subjective to one's experience. I wouldn't say everyone knows class 3 here or there.
If the move is 15 feet off flat ground it is class 2. If the same move is off a ledge with 800 feet vertical drop off, it is class 4+ LOL
Your lol and subjective interpretation of what class 2 and class 4+ is different than most I've heard.

Although I think Fire is right, Bill shouldn't have to add much more if anything to the route description. The TH sign should be a lot more obvious to hikers going up there. Not everyone uses this site, and it still doesn't matter with experience level, accidents happen. Sometimes from poor decisions made, or just a simple slip.
Sarcasm alert dude.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

And dry sarcasm alert back at ya.

EDIT: dude.
Voshkm
14ers: 19  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voshkm »

Agreed. Have we really come to the point in society where we need warning labels on everything, including our mountains? Study, train hard, do your homework, please be careful, and climb at your own risk.
(Forgive me for posting this on this particular thread, but the discussion had drifted several times.)[/quote]

While in general I like to live life thinking that each individual is responsible to know what they are getting into and that maybe its natural selection when people are unprepared for what they chose to get into. However its not an accurate portrayal that each person climbs at their own risk when SARs people risk their lives to save these same climbers. IF we didn't have SARs or similar personnel then I would tend to agree however having grown up on the North side of Mt Washington I would annually see families affected by loss of life or injured rescue personnel cuz some guys from Boston passed through EMS and thought they could tackle the White Mountains in the winter with no experience.
That said the idea of warning the inexperienced of the particular dangers of specific route, or Mountain seems like a small price to pay to save the health of our valiant self sacrificing rescue volunteers.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

There's an entire thread devoted to the discussion of making the Crestone Needle safer, I think we should keep it over there.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

John Landers wrote:To bad there are not a few peaks in Colorado similar to the harder California 14ers. It would be interesting in a bad way to see the comments about fixing lines, permanently marking the route, chopping hold / steps, etc. etc. etc.
why? we don't have those sorts of discussions here in cali, at least not on any board i've ever seen.

just my two cents, but i think cali 14er climbing is different (read: *NOT* better, just different) in the sense that no matter what list you work of ca 14ers, there are a number of class 5 peaks, going all the way up to 5.9 by their easiest route. this is in comparison to colorado, where the vast majority of the 14ers can be accomplished by going no higher than class 3, if one so desires. in fact, for that very reason, the co 14er list is a higher priority for me than the cali list, even though i live less than six hours from every single ca 14er (minus shasta, which i've already done anyway).
John Landers
Trip Reports (1)

Post by John Landers »

brichardsson wrote:
John Landers wrote:To bad there are not a few peaks in Colorado similar to the harder California 14ers. It would be interesting in a bad way to see the comments about fixing lines, permanently marking the route, chopping hold / steps, etc. etc. etc.
why? we don't have those sorts of discussions here in cali, at least not on any board i've ever seen.

just my two cents, but i think cali 14er climbing is different (read: *NOT* better, just different) in the sense that no matter what list you work of ca 14ers, there are a number of class 5 peaks, going all the way up to 5.9 by their easiest route. this is in comparison to colorado, where the vast majority of the 14ers can be accomplished by going no higher than class 3, if one so desires. in fact, for that very reason, the co 14er list is a higher priority for me than the cali list, even though i live less than six hours from every single ca 14er (minus shasta, which i've already done anyway).
The hoards in Colorado want to summit all of the 14ers and view it as an accomplishment. Which is great that people are getting outdoors, getting exercise, and to some extent getting away from their electronic devices. The problem is too many people in wanting to summit the harder Colorado 14ers want to bring the mountain down to their skill level rather expand and grow their capabilities to meet the challenges which leads to some ridiculous discussion and suggestions on this site. Want the sense of accomplishment, but without any risk. Life doesn't work that way. I think the Sierras are great and have enjoyed my few trips out to CA. There are many excellent alpine routes on lower peaks in Colorado and there are fine routes on some of the 14ers in Colorado. Getting up the many of the higher peaks in CA is a whole different challenge than getting up the 14ers in CO.