Near Miss on Gladstone Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Near Miss on Gladstone Peak

Post by Jon Frohlich »

mattpayne11 wrote: Thanks Pak - yeah, that basin is fantastic and I hope to return. Unfortunately, I did not have much time to read many trip reports before this trip and I was relying on Roach's description which was pretty vague. I regret not staying on the ridge the whole time, no doubt. On the way down we stayed high and it was much more solid terrain.
This really can't be emphasized enough. This is the one route where the only sane choice is to stay as exactly on top as possible. Any other decision is a poor one and could lead to things like your video. At least on top of the ridge you likely won't drop on anything on top of your partner. It's pretty much like playing Russian roulette to be on the slopes below the ridge.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Near Miss on Gladstone Peak

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Gosh Matt, thanks for sharing!

Glad you both are okay, too. Fine fideo presentation. Need to have you around to post more outstanding photography - when you have time. Be safe!
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.