Re: Hiker missing Bells/Pyramid (elks/aspen)

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
whiskeyzulu
14ers: 36 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Hiker missing Bells/Pyramid (elks/aspen)

Post by whiskeyzulu »

My friend Dave is late returning from climbing the Bells and Pyramid on Monday/Tuesday. Probably climbed in that order, but he may have opted to climb Tuesday/Wednesday as well. Not positive when he started, but definitely going for all three including the traverse.

Likely wearing a blue jacket and blue helmet. Friendly and outgoing experienced climber. 49 y.o. ~5'10" Caucasian. If you saw or talked to him please post here. SAR has been notified and is searching. Thank you for any info.
Count40
14ers: 45  4 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Count40 »

sent you a PM about late Sunday crowd on Maroon. Nothing specific, but could help narrow down time and area

As for uncertainty about time and location, please note this post by user Chase_Rowdy in thread Pyramid Conditions. He was there on Monday. Worth checking that end
Chase_Rowdy wrote:I did Pyramid monday and there was a very small amount of snow between the saddle and the ridge. Later I got off route due to goats being over head and climbed a good deal of the north face, ascending the green wall too high. It looked like it would go, and the goats were worrying me, so I kept going. It held a decent amount snow/ice and made for the sketchiest climbing I've done with all the loose rock and exposure factored in.

I second not attempting this mountain with fresh snow on rock, its not fun. At all...haha. I'm pretty fast and it took a long time, so I was very glad to have a 0% chance perfect day. Its a physically and mentally draining mountain, between route finding, elevation gain, and the 15+ microwave size holds I tested that were ready to go. The slope from the amphitheater to saddle would also being pretty terrifying going up and down with solidified moisture. This mountain is a serious challenge in perfect conditions.
Jblades
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jblades »

I climbed North Maroon on Monday 9/19 via the standard route and didn't see any other climbers. I was on the summit around 10:40 and hung out for a while (the weather was blue bird, no weather threats) and didn't see anyone on Maroon or attempting the traverse. There was a green tent at site #4 by Crater Lake that I never saw any movement at over the course of two days if that matches your friends tent description. I have a photo if it helps, just PM me.
ColoradoKid
14ers: 58 
13ers: 131
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoKid »

Hiked Maroon Peak via the south ridge on Monday (9/19) between 8am-2pm. Saw ~5 others on the mountain that day (two appeared to have summited very early as they were coming down the tundra to the West Maroon trail @8am), none matching his description.
There was one orange tent at Crater Lake in the morning.
14erFred
14ers: 51 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Praying for a positive outcome for Dave.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
whiskeyzulu
Trip Reports (0)

Post by whiskeyzulu »

The tent is a Big Agness. Yellow with white fly.

Thank you everyone for the info.
whiskeyzulu
Trip Reports (0)

Post by whiskeyzulu »

Here is a picture of Dave
Attachments
Dave pic
Dave pic
IMG_1381.JPG (57.21 KiB) Viewed 11766 times
Chase_Rowdy
14ers: 19  1  1 
13ers: 4 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chase_Rowdy »

I didn't see anyone solo on Pyramid Monday, or with matching description. Hopefully he's ok
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Any updates? Hope Dave is ok. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Century Bound, eventually.
Jennmartin14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jennmartin14 »

No new info.

He has not been found. Camping gear was found in his vehicle.

Please continue to pray!!!
Jennmartin14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jennmartin14 »

http://m.gazette.com/search-is-on-for-m ... le/1586198" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please if you see my Uncle, call the sheriffs office!!
whiskeyzulu
Trip Reports (0)

Post by whiskeyzulu »

SAR was up this morning and there is weather moving in so I am not sure how long they will continue . They have not found him.

We believe now that Dave went up around 11 Monday to climb south to north on the bells traverse. His phone pinged Crested Butte and the Aspen side around 5 pm suggesting he was up high at that time. If that helps anyone who was climbing then to recall any info please post it or pm me.

Thank you all again for your prayers, support and info.