Helping SAR locate you

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Helping SAR locate you

Post by rijaca »

TallGrass wrote:.... Put the Morse Code....

This isn't Hunt for Red October

[youtubevideo]/cBU6C6lA6vI[/youtubevideo]
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
wildsidesky
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (24)

Post by wildsidesky »

I have a question for you guys and girls: when I was a senior in high school (long before I discovered the joy of 14ers), I got into a pretty big hiking accident in Pike National Forest. I fell about 15 feet headfirst and suffered internal brain bleeding, skull fractures, broken ribs and nose, a TBI, memory loss, "road rash" all over a lot of my body, and more fun stuff. Grand County SAR and fire department responded and helped carry me to an open field where I could get flight-for-lifed out.

Luckily, I was in high school and my parents footed the bill. I know that the most expensive part was the helicopter—which was made much more manageable by insurance. My question is this: if search and rescue is called, do you have to pay them? I do have a search and rescue card (which I got after my accident)... but it explicitly states that it is not "insurance." I am particularly curious if you have to pay if SAR is called and you are not in need of rescue. A few days ago I had a friend worry her friends were going to call SAR because our trip took longer than anticipated—would we have owed SAR money had they come out?

Thanks~ hope this isn't redundant :)
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

^By and large, no charge. They don't want to see potential rescue become a recovery out of sticker shock. If someone is overdue, best to describe it just as such. It's not uncommon for people to underestimate how long it will take, be slowed by weather, be benighted, but otherwise fine.
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

TallGrass wrote:^By and large, no charge. They don't want to see potential rescue become a recovery out of sticker shock. If someone is overdue, best to describe it just as such. It's not uncommon for people to underestimate how long it will take, be slowed by weather, be benighted, but otherwise fine.
I was benighted once, and would prefer if you address me as Sir Lostalot going forward.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
scottda
14ers: 25  2 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scottda »

YOU will always be rescued at no charge in COLORADO, but may well be charged BY THE HELICOPTER company (just like an ambulance ride is billed to your insurance company) IF you are medically evacuated by said helicopter. If the helicopter is used to SEARCH for you, you will NOT be billed! It would certainly be great if everyone would purchase a CORSAR Card if they do NOT already have a fishing or hunting license or a Snomo, ATV or motorboat registration. Though buying a fishing license is a nice way to support fisheries and possessing one if you need to be rescued certainly allows SAR Teams to apply to DOLA for reimbursement for costs incurred in your rescue, it is worth noting that only 25 cents from a fishing license goes into the State SAR Fund. $2 of an annual CORSAR purchase goes into said fund. SO... if you are buying a fishing license because you're going fishing... perfect! If you're buying it to help Colorado SAR Teams, the better bet is the CORSAR card
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." ~ Edward Abbey

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" ~ Edward Abbey

flickr