Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Report Says Ski Pass Holders Could Reduce Traffic

Arrange group travel to/from the peaks.

Re: Report Says Ski Pass Holders Could Reduce Traffic

Postby prestone818 » Fri May 11, 2012 3:31 pm

Bean wrote:
Good-ish news, a CDOT project to widen the EB bore at the twin tunnels to 3 lanes begins this summer. The bad news: it won't be done until next year.

i heard it wasnt going to start until 2013...is that not right?

Postby Bean » Fri May 11, 2012 3:48 pm

prestone818 wrote:
Bean wrote:
Good-ish news, a CDOT project to widen the EB bore at the twin tunnels to 3 lanes begins this summer. The bad news: it won't be done until next year.

i heard it wasnt going to start until 2013...is that not right?

My understanding is that it's beginning later this year. I could be wrong..
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby roguejackalope » Fri May 11, 2012 3:49 pm

Bean wrote:Good-ish news, a CDOT project to widen the EB bore at the twin tunnels to 3 lanes begins this summer. The bad news: it won't be done until next year.

Nothing about that here. Where did you hear that Bean? There are some other interesting details about plans on that site.

They are improving the frontage road between Idaho Springs and the Hidden Valley exit this summer.
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin

Postby Bean » Fri May 11, 2012 3:56 pm

roguejackalope wrote:
Bean wrote:Good-ish news, a CDOT project to widen the EB bore at the twin tunnels to 3 lanes begins this summer. The bad news: it won't be done until next year.

Nothing about that here. Where did you hear that Bean? There are some other interesting details about plans on that site.

They are improving the frontage road between Idaho Springs and the Hidden Valley exit this summer.

I know a guy.

As previously said I might've been mistaken. It might be starting next summer.

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri May 11, 2012 4:00 pm

Projects #3 and #4 on the construction map linked to below. Lane widening west of the tunnel to Idaho Springs starts in May. The tunnel project starts in November and continues through March 2014.

http://www.coloradodot.info/projects/constmap.pdf/view
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby George James » Fri May 11, 2012 4:13 pm

I miss the Ski Train. Choo chooooo.

I don't understand why this Ace guy's idea hasn't gained enough traction to at least conduct a feasibility study. He's had this website up for years now.

http://thefreeskibus.org/index.html

In the end this is a 1st world problem and people upset about the traffic need to HTFU. Plenty of ways to avoid it anyways.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby lordhelmut » Fri May 11, 2012 4:18 pm

George James wrote:

In the end this is a 1st world problem and people upset about the traffic need to HTFU. Plenty of ways to avoid it anyways.

Very true. If you are disciplined and are able to reach the Morrison exit region by 6-615am (530-6 on a powder day) and just accept the fact you'll be sipping coffee or waiting in the parking lot till lifts open, you will rarely, if ever, deal with traffic.

Going back is simple, ski the Jane! (Another reason, among the already laundry list of them, to avoid Vail)

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri May 11, 2012 4:55 pm

Well my solution was not to live in Denver :mrgreen:

Around here one of the concerns is the upcoming 2015 World Championships, which are expect to draw a lot of spectators and in particular out of Country visitors. They are going to need to get here from DIA some how. The event is basically all of the Alpine Skiing events from the Olympics and is basically the same level of competition.

One thing that I saw recently is the Glenwood Springs to Aspen corridor is getting a new "express" version to the bus system (cleverly named VelociRFTA) that will cut commute times by limiting stops and providing express buses with a way to override traffic lights and some other changes. The idea is to make the bus equal to or faster than cars to get people to ride it more. It is their way of addressing the comments many of you have had about public transportation not being worth it because its faster and cheaper to drive.

http://www.rftabrt.com/

The problem with an I-70 bus is too many riders. Just look at how full the parking lot shuttle buses are in each resort, and they run like every 5-10 minutes. I can't imagine what the combined effect would be, you would have a highway full of buses. They really would need about 50 buses (or more) to have a real impact on traffic. It would be an interesting concept, but like many on here have said, people are hard to get out of their cars.

When I lived in Chicago I didn't own a car and took the bus to work everyday. The worst thing was being on a half full (or less) bus looking at the cars we were bottlenecked with and their single driver. I could easily have counted room for 15-20 people on the bus, sometimes more, that would take 15-20 cars off the road and we would no longer have been stuck in traffic. Ridership on public transportation was pretty high in Chicago, but it still had way to many drivers. Honestly, parking is so expensive I don't know why anyone there owned a car at all. I didn't and I could rent one if I needed it for certain trips. Which I did only twice in 6 years. Seems way better than $200/mo for parking.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby Derek » Fri May 11, 2012 5:33 pm

lordhelmut wrote:
benners wrote:Same problem with the damn Light Rails here in Denver! Where is my incentive to use mass transportation for the commute to work when driving myself is both cheaper and less annoying?

Amen. Mass transit in this state sucks.

Why dont either of you like it? What makes it more annoying than driving? (Not disagreeingat all, more just curious.) I'm from Michigan, where mass transit every place I lived was non-existent, so its possible that maybe I just dont know what "good" mass transit is.

I take a bus to work some days (on days that I dont ride my bike) and dont have any issues. Always on time and predictable. I think its been about 5 years since I've drove to work, and I shudder to think about ever having to do it again. That, and I get a lot of reading in on the bus. Never been a light rail rider though, although one of the new stops for the golden line will be 2 blocks from my house.

My truck turns on once a week, just to head to the hills. (**edit- and for random mid week beer runs. :wink: )

--D
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby Bean » Fri May 11, 2012 6:16 pm

George James wrote:In the end this is a 1st world problem and people upset about the traffic need to HTFU.

Putting up with people complaining about I-70 traffic on the internet is a first world problem, and you need to HTFU.

But you're right. People need to HTFU and STFU about anything and everything that isn't directly related to rampaging warlords, starving to death, and lacking clean drinking water.

:roll:

Postby livetothemax96 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:33 pm

bean...you sound like my dad right now... ](*,)

but yes, it is just another first world problem that people need to get over. traffic is traffic, and if you are going up that often that you can't deal with it, use your first world problems to buy a condo in dillon or something
whats life unless you live it?

Postby Bean » Fri May 11, 2012 6:41 pm

livetothemax96 wrote:bean...you sound like my dad right now... ](*,)

I was being sarcastic. Dismissing an issue as "first world problem" and not worthy of discussion is moronic.

PreviousNext