Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Need some 4WD

Arrange group travel to/from the peaks.

Need some 4WD

Postby Bird » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:00 pm

Hello!

So the only reason I haven't summited Sneffels yet is because the road to Yankee Boy Basin sucks. Most people can at least make it to the lower trailhead at the restrooms, but my car was not loving life and was the hottest temp I've ever seen it before. So is there anyone willing to accompany me july 7 or 8 for a hike and give me a ride up there? Or even just someone willing to give me a ride up ?

Thanks,

SB

Re: Need some 4WD

Postby iquack08 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:59 pm

FYI, hiking from Yankee Boy Basin makes the trip pretty short. I would recommend driving as far as your car will allow then start your hike. The hike to Yankee Boy Basin is definitely worth it. One of the best areas around. After Yankee Boy Basin, then meh.

Postby Beaker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:00 pm

In case you don't find any willing partners, you could look into renting for a day, or even taking a mtn bike to get you farther up the road.
You have a cough? Eat a whole box of Ex-Lax tonite, tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough.

Postby Nathan Hale » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:56 am

Another alternative would be to go from the Blue Lakes side, which is a very easy 2WD dirt road. The route is quite a bit longer, and you'll have to gain some extra elevation to go up and over Blue Lakes Pass, but it would be a good way to go if you can't get a ride otherwise.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com

Postby GregMiller » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:34 am

Nathan Hale wrote:Another alternative would be to go from the Blue Lakes side, which is a very easy 2WD dirt road. The route is quite a bit longer, and you'll have to gain some extra elevation to go up and over Blue Lakes Pass, but it would be a good way to go if you can't get a ride otherwise.

Plus the Blue Lakes are GORGEOUS, and you won't get nearly as good of views of them as you would when you're hiking by. But yes, it's a bear of a hike from the Blue Lakes side.

EDIT - stats because I haven't done a trip report yet, and this route isn't on 14ers.com - 4,810 ft of gain, 13 miles RT length if you go up the ridge, and down the standard route, then back over the pass.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby Mathews42 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:10 am

maybe look into a jeep rental for the day? I have a Stock Nissan Frontier Nismo 4x4 and I made it up. A couple area's were a bit sketchy but I've off roaded a fair amount in the past. Good luck!
Fay B. Nash:
"What a man really wants is creative challenge with sufficient skills to bring him within the reach of success so that he may have the expanding joy of achievement."