Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Storing gear at Durango

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Storing gear at Durango

Postby annajack25 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:28 am

Does anyone know where we can store/ stash gear in the Durango area while we are back-packing in Chicago Basin? It is in early July

Re: Storing gear at Durango

Postby bking14ers » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:15 pm

I had the same problem as you two summers ago. I stayed at the Durango Hometown Hostel the night before I left for the basin. The lady that own's the place (Candice) let me store a duffle bag in a closet there because I was staying one more night before I flew home. I gave her a tip for storing my stuff, and she was surprized I did that. I thought it was awsome she did that for me. I can't believe the Train Depot doesn't rent storage lockers for the people going into the Chicago Basin that can't take everything with them. Also, a lady on this web-site offered me space in her garage. At that time she was my only option.

Postby schrund » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:02 pm

I've taken an extra duffel with me on the train and then stashed it in the woods near the flag stop somewhere.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby annajack25 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:31 am

Schrung and bking. Thanks for your replies. Yea, we are renting a car from Salt Lake City on 7/5 and then our trip ends in Durango on 7/21. It is costly for thr car so we want to ditch the car to save $ as we are in Chicago Basin anyway from 7/16-7/20. That brings up the "luggage" problem and where to store, where we don't want the car to be an expensive "locker". Thanks you again for the ideas!