Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Help! Camping near -Shavano/Tabeguache/Salida/Poncha Spgs

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Help! Camping near -Shavano/Tabeguache/Salida/Poncha Spgs

Postby jwildman16 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:46 am

I will be climbing Shavano/Tabeguache this weekend and am looking for a free place to camp. There will be 6-8 of us total. I searched the forum and saw some previous posts about some campsites right at the trailhead, but they were from several years ago. Can anyone provide some more information about these spots (detail on where exactly they are, how many, whether they are still open for us, and especially whether they might fill up before we get there in the evening/late afternoon)? If they are full, do you have any recommendations elsewhere in the area, maybe even out a little further in Salida, Poncha Springs, etc.? Much appreciated!
JWild

Re: Help! Camping near -Shavano/Tabeguache/Salida/Poncha Spgs

Postby kushrocks » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:51 am

Dude your golden. I did those two peaks about two weeks ago. There is plenty of free camping right around the trailhead.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby metalmountain » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:34 am

Just don't set your car alarm off at 1:00 a.m...it doesn't help you make friends with your fellow campers :cussing:

Stupid sensitive car alarm...
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby Papillon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:02 am

What do you drive?

I was up on CR 240 which is a few miles west of the 285/50 junction in Poncha Springs last Friday. There is a national forest campground up there (Angel of Shavano) at the four mile mark. Beyond that, there are many free dispersed sites with rock fire pits, some of which could accomodate 5-6 tents.

The campground was not full last Friday evening and I saw only two other vehicles further up the road on Saturday. The road was dry to the old Shavano town site which is about 4.5 miles beyond the campground or 8.5 miles from US-50.

The road is paved to the campground but gets rough soon after. I wouldn't take anything low clearance beyond the campground but that is just my opinion.

You could use this area as a Plan B.
Last edited by Papillon on Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby jwildman16 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:12 pm

Papillon wrote:What do you drive?

I was up on CR 240 which is a few miles north of the 285/50 junction in Poncha Springs last Friday. There is a national forest campground up there (Angel of Shavano) at the four mile mark. Beyond that, there are many free dispersed sites with rock fire pits, some of which could accomodate 5-6 tents.

The campground was not full last Friday evening and I saw only two other vehicles further up the road on Saturday. The road was dry to the old Shavano town site which is about 4.5 miles beyond the campground or 8.5 miles from US-50.

The road is paved to the campground but gets rough soon after. I wouldn't take anything low clearance beyond the campground but that is just my opinion.

You could use this area as a Plan B.

I drive a Grand Cherokee, so that would be no problem. Thanks for the info! We will be there two nights, so that might actually work better than the trailhead sites. Do you know about how long it would take to drive from the sites you mentioned to the Shavano trailhead?
JWild

Postby Papillon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:27 pm

Not sure. I haven't been to the Shav-Tab TH since the summer of '07. CR 240 (in Maysville) can't be more than 5 miles west of the 285/50 junction. So you've got 5 miles on 240, another 5 miles on US-50, then 1 mile on 285 to the turnoff. From there, you've got about 9 miles to the TH per the directions on this site.

I'm sure there is a way to link up with the road to the TH from another county road off of US-50, however. 30 minutes maybe at a leisurely clip?
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby Yalegirl09 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:43 pm

I would guess 30-45 minutes! Depends how fast you drive! I typically can go about 30 down the dirt road to the TH.... In most places!

Postby jwildman16 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:30 pm

Thank you everyone for the great info! I'm looking forward to tackling #s 6 & 7 this weekend.
JWild

Re: Help! Camping near -Shavano/Tabeguache/Salida/Poncha Spg

Postby NeilB1684 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:50 pm

Hey this is my first post here at 14ers.com. Short time follower as this is my first 14er summer. Last weekend a group of friends, my dog Leeroy, and my myself made our way up Pikes Peak for our first notch out of our 14er belt! Wonderful experience though the hike was a bite tougher than I expected but overall enjoyed every second. This weekend we are doing Shavano and Tabeguache and I am looking for a little advice on where to camp afterwards. We are wanting to do a little fishing afterwards so we are looking to camp close to a river or some water. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Postby Stevo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:31 pm

Check out Hecla Junction. The turnoff is along highway 285 less than 10 miles North of the turnoff for Savano and Tabegauche. There are composites along the river and good fishing in the Arkansas.

Postby cougar » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:21 pm

there are lots of free camping spots at the Blank Gulch trailhead for Shav/Tab, including a big field just past the trailhead. You should have no problem finding a spot. Above Salida, there's good free campsites on BLM land up the Ute Trail Rd - along the road to Turret. It's about 5-10 miles outside of town and starts behind the hill with the 'S'. Good road.

Postby NeilB1684 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:07 am

@ Stevo and @ Cougar thanks for the advice! Friday afternoon can't get here soon enough!

Next