Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

harvard columbia water source for camping

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

harvard columbia water source for camping

Postby canuckcowboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:52 am

we are headed out to hike the columbia to harvard route tonight\tomorrow; and plan on camping in horn fork basin where the trail splits. My question is how much water I need to carry to camp, or if there is a good water source to purify near camp? Any beta would be appreciated, I imagine that there are several lakes and creeks, but dont want to make the wrong assumption and ruin the trip.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- The great one, Wayne Gretzky
"Homer no function beer well without" - Homer Simpson
"I can ride my bike with no handlebars" - Flobots

Re: harvard columbia water source for camping

Postby ezabielski » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:07 am

canuckcowboy wrote:we are headed out to hike the columbia to harvard route tonight\tomorrow; and plan on camping in horn fork basin where the trail splits. My question is how much water I need to carry to camp, or if there is a good water source to purify near camp? Any beta would be appreciated, I imagine that there are several lakes and creeks, but dont want to make the wrong assumption and ruin the trip.

While I don't know specifically what the water situation was at the junction, there was a lot of water along the entire Harvard/Columbia combo when I was there a month ago. You could have done the hike with a tin cup for water. In general, you should be close to water until you leave the willows.

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:51 am

The trail parallels a creek all the way to timberline. You might have to walk a few hundred feet down through the willows to get there from the trail.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby michaelgrundy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:53 am

My buddy and I were in there on Saturday and there is plenty of water in the streams near the junction. We carried about a liter to get in from the trailhead (I drink a lot of water) and once we got there, we filled out camelbaks with whatever we wanted (I carried 4 liters for the Columbia/Harvard combo - as I mentioned, I drink a lot of water).

Whatever you choose to carry, you will be good for filling up at the junction.

Postby canuckcowboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:21 am

thanks all. great info. Be well.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- The great one, Wayne Gretzky
"Homer no function beer well without" - Homer Simpson
"I can ride my bike with no handlebars" - Flobots