Webster Pass Road?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tjf242424
14ers: 58 
13ers: 359
Trip Reports (0)

Webster Pass Road?

Post by tjf242424 »

Has anybody been on this recently? I'm curious if it's possible to drive part of it in a Subaru. It looks like it doesn't get steep until after the junction to Deer Creek/Radical Hill. I'm looking to hike up Geneva Peak and I'd like to know how close I'll be able to get in a newer Outback.
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Webster Pass Road?

Post by davebobk47 »

I haven't been up that way recently however Geneva can also be climbed from the North. I was able to drive to tree line on 264 out of Montezuma in a Hyundai Santa Fe and probably could have gone further. From this direction you'll also climb up and over Santa Fe Peak (ranked 13er) and Sullivan Mountain (unranked 13er). Either way it is a really nice hike along the divide.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
tjf242424
14ers: 58 
13ers: 359
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjf242424 »

Yup, I've driven the Outback up the 264 Rd and done Santa Fe already. I could go that way for Geneva too, but I was hoping to approach from Webster Pass. I'm guessing it's possible to drive an SUV/Subaru at least part of the way, since the road seems to follow the creek as far as the Radical Hill junction. And to clarify, I'm looking at approaching Webster Pass from Montezuma.
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

Can't tell you the current snow conditions. But as far as the road itself... it's not very steep anywhere up to the pass (at least on the N side). But there are some decently rocky sections (and a creek crossing which may be "interesting" with the recent precip) after the Deer Creek split. An Outback would probably be okay with some very careful driving over this section. The section up to the pass after leaving the Snake River valley is even easier, if I remember right.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"