Lake Como Road Advice

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
14ergirl
14ers: 41 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (17)

Lake Como Road Advice

Post by 14ergirl »

Can anyone tell me how far an expedition might make it up Lake Como road? Also is there any camping along the road or do you have to hike up to the Lake? Thanks!!
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~GD
"Spay, Neuter, Rescue, LOVE!" "opt to ADOPT!!!"
http://www.rockymountainlabrescue.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Lake Como Road Advice

Post by sgladbach »

Ther's plenty of camping on the dusty plains before the road gets tough. In the AM, you can drive higher. Unfortunatyely, the higher you get, parking spots and turn-a-rounds get more sparse. I usually start looking about 2.5 miles in. There is a distinct switchback where the road gets loose. Many use this for a 20 point turn and park here. A little lower avoids thae search for parking. I have parked another 1/2 mile higher, where you traverse into chokecherry canyon. I'm not certain it is worth it.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
k9powerlifter
14ers: 49 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by k9powerlifter »

We recently made it up to 9500' in a Jeep Cherokee....I wouldn't go further than that in a standard vehicle.
When people get scared they call the cops; when cops get scared they call K-9.
14ergirl
14ers: 41 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (17)

Post by 14ergirl »

Thanks so far. I would love it if I could get 2 miles up the road and make B&E a 12 miler instead of 16
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~GD
"Spay, Neuter, Rescue, LOVE!" "opt to ADOPT!!!"
http://www.rockymountainlabrescue.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
310 PKS
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 310 PKS »

I was just up there this weekend. I drive a stock Jeep Rubicon and made it to Jaws 1. Jaws .5 is 4.6 miles from the cattle guard at the very beginning of the road. There is plenty of parking below the start of the switchbacks. Once you hit the switchbacks, the road gets looser and steeper and the boulders larger. Also, the pullouts and camping are sparser.

For what it is worth, I saw a stock Expedition and Isuzu Trooper up as high as I went.

Have fun. Great peaks and a fun ridge traverse between the two.
cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

It is always funny when this topic comes up because people start making up obstacles that stock cars can't pass, like the mythical Jaws 0.5. I have gotten to Jaws 2.5 both times I have gone up there, but will never plan on going past Jaws 1 ever again in one of my vehicles. It is just not worth the stress coming out on that road after a successful climb. Both times I have gone up there I have tried to find this Jaws 0.5, but have yet to locate it. If you can find someone that knows where it is, supposedly this is a good place to halt operations and park in a stock car. I myself know that there is a place for about 3-4 cars just before Jaws 1 and the is where I would park my car.

There are plenty of camping spots before it get too rough, and there are some after, but less often. I would just plan on going as far as you feel comfortable and then camp. Good luck.
britdog
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (0)

Post by britdog »

I've taken my stock '01 Expedition 3 miles in twice this season. Could you go further with prudent driving, yes, but beyond that at that point, and probably a bit before, you'll have reached the point of diminishing returns. The progress is so slow, and the ride so uncomfortable, it's better to get out and hoof it.
stretch2187
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stretch2187 »

I was up there last week in my stock Dodge Ram 4x4. I made it just short of 4 miles past the two wheel drive trail head and parked just before the "obstacle" that some people call Jaws 0.5. There is a line through that obstacle that a stock 4x4 can make it through, but I was happy with how far I made it and the line looked like it would be a bit too tipsy for my comfort in my truck. Where I parked there was room for at least one more vehicle. FWIW, try to park thinking of others parking there too. Coming down, there was a truck parallel parked just before Jaws 1. If the truck had been backed into the space another truck could have parked beside him, but by parking the way he did, he took up both spaces.
310 PKS
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 310 PKS »

Made up or not, this is the "obstacle" I mentioned was 4.6 miles from the cattle guard at the very beginning ogf the road.
Attachments
e038ew.jpg
e038ew.jpg (259.48 KiB) Viewed 5683 times
covfrrider
14ers: 30  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by covfrrider »

310 PKS wrote:Made up or not, this is the "obstacle" I mentioned was 4.6 miles from the cattle guard at the very beginning ogf the road.
That is referred to as Jaws 0.5
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by zoomie83 »

I have gotten to Jaws 2.5 both times I have gone up there, but will never plan on going past Jaws 1 ever again in one of my vehicles. It is just not worth the stress coming out on that road after a successful climb.
IMO, this is the best advice in this thread. Greenhouseguy and I (mostly him, I just spotted a couple of times) made to the creek right before Jaws 2 in his Jeep Cherokee. The stress of worrying about getting back over Jaws 1 and down in general just wasn't worth the extra elevation gain, although at the time gaining only 1050 feet to get to Lake Como seemed like a great idea. I'm pretty sure Greenhouseguy will never try it again.
cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

covfrrider wrote:That is referred to as Jaws 0.5
Ahh. Thank you for the picture. I have always wondered what people were calling Jaws 0.5. I do remember this both times, but never thought it worthy of a name other than switchback.
zoomie83 wrote:
I have gotten to Jaws 2.5 both times I have gone up there, but will never plan on going past Jaws 1 ever again in one of my vehicles. It is just not worth the stress coming out on that road after a successful climb.
IMO, this is the best advice in this thread. Greenhouseguy and I (mostly him, I just spotted a couple of times) made to the creek right before Jaws 2 in his Jeep Cherokee. The stress of worrying about getting back over Jaws 1 and down in general just wasn't worth the extra elevation gain, although at the time gaining only 1050 feet to get to Lake Como seemed like a great idea. I'm pretty sure Greenhouseguy will never try it again.
Agreed. The benefit outweighs the gain for the most part. I just don't want to have to worry about that again. It was fun and exciting the first two times, but now that I have done it, the luster is gone. Plus I don't have the play vehicle anymore. It is the lady's daily driver so I can't screw it up. :)