Leave Gear for summit push

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

What do you do with your camping gear

Leave camp set up until the return trip
76%
Stash gear somewhere hidden
17%
Carry full pack to the summit
7%

Total votes: 88
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Leave Gear for summit push

Post by colokeith »

I am new to climbing 14ers.

When camping the night before climbing do you leave your tent / bag set up and retrieve it on the way back down, do you break camp and stash the heavy gear somewhere hidden. Or do you carry a full pack to the summit?

It seems there is some benefits of each approach I am wondering what opinions on the best are
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
JohnWilliams
14ers: 10  2  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Leave Gear for summit push

Post by JohnWilliams »

Go with the easyest set up. The faster you move off the peak the safer you'll be. Why make your summit bid any more difficult than it has to be. On overnights I'll leave the tent set up, just in case i need to stay another night, for whatever reason.
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins
Rcizzle
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Rcizzle »

I would never carry a "full" pack all the way to the summit, thats pointless, in all reality it is a race to the summit. I floor it to the summit and take my time back down based on situational awareness. Im 50-50 on whether you leave your site intact or stash your stuff away. If you are backpacking a great distance than stashing your stuff is not necessary. It depends on the "community" you are in. For example, if you figuratively backpack into Capitol (or other isolated mountains, snowmass, wetterhorn, wilsons, blancas) you will not see tourists but experienced climbers and generally everyone is in the same boat as you. It's perfectly acceptable to leave your site in tact for your return which many do. Now if you were camping near the Maroon Bells/popular mountain sites, that would a completely different story, there are tourists and amateur hikers all over the place who most likely didn't pack anything in. The last factor is the wildlife factor, despite the "cuteness" of mountain goats and there fury little friends, be cautious. They are huge threats to your gear. There are many horror stories of goats chewing up tents, shoes, sleeping bags, etc. so packing up your gear and hiding it in a spot THEY can't get to is not a terrible idea Common sense and judgement are key.
Bad decisions make good stories.
nomadelmundo
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by nomadelmundo »

I'd break it down and stash it somewhere. Doesn't really take that long. However, if you are exhausted after the summit, it might be nice for to find your tent already setup.

It really depends on the summit, time of r/t and possibility of vandalism. Most hikers are pretty respectful of others belongings, but you know how much $$$ you have invested in them, so [-o< no one takes'em or hide em.

For these 14ers, I haven't needed to camp yet, but I remember when after summitting Kilimanjaro, it was really nice to crawl into my sleeping bag and tent for a quick catnap, but there were porters and guides watching over your stuff on the tour.
Maxmius - What we do in life echoes in eternity.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

I'd be interested in hearing the reasoning behind the so-far single vote of carrying it all up. "Fail upwards" isn't all that necessary in Colorado.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
nomadelmundo
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by nomadelmundo »

Bean wrote:I'd be interested in hearing the reasoning behind the so-far single vote of carrying it all up. "Fail upwards" isn't all that necessary in Colorado.
I guess the only time that makes sense is when it's not a round trip summit.
Maxmius - What we do in life echoes in eternity.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Speed is safety. You don't want to be slowed down by carrying a bunch of unnecessary gear to the summit. You still need to carry enough to be prepared but a lot of the heavy camp stuff doesn't need to join you on the summit. I have never broken down camp before heading for the summit. The tent is usually still wet with condensation and dew in the morning, however if you break it down afterwards its dry and ready to go, unless it's raining of course however then you may enjoy having a tent to take a rest in.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

nomadelmundo wrote:
Bean wrote:I'd be interested in hearing the reasoning behind the so-far single vote of carrying it all up. "Fail upwards" isn't all that necessary in Colorado.
I guess the only time that makes sense is when it's not a round trip summit.
Or if you are training or if your overnight gear only weighs a couple pounds (mine does, in the summer) or if you want to be totally flexible on your descent, taking alternate routes down depending on the weather, lots of reasons.

Mine is the 2nd "carry full pack to the summit" vote though simply because like an idiot, I didn't read the OP first; I assumed it was talking about leaving even your summit pack below the summit to grab on the return, which I think is usually folly. No, I don't usually carry my full overnight gear to the summit, though as I've said, there are many situations and reasons to do so.
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

Thanks for the responses!! Looks like there is a pretty good consensus.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
CRAIGO
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (6)

Post by CRAIGO »

Be careful stashing trekking poles. I realized after I returned down from Pyramid's summit that marmots love to chew on neoprene. My poles were destroyed.
SuperiorTrailHiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SuperiorTrailHiker »

I've left my overnight gear set up dozens of times (although I usually break it down if I think someone else may come by who needs the space, before I'll get back), including a couple times in Colorado, and have never had anyone jack with my gear. It's off my radar as a possbility at this point (although I hear marmots like to chew on unguarded salty stuff, it hasn't happened to me yet).

Take the essentials to the summit with you in a lighter pack, leave the heavy stuff behind for the hike out. Break it down to make room for the next guy coming along if you're in a busy area.
lodidodi
14ers: 27 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by lodidodi »

I leave my camp setup too and agree there is usually condensation or your sleeping bag is a little moist so I like to let it dry. If it's a winter climb, bringing your sleeping bag for emergency is smart. It's nice to get back and go lay down if your camping another night but it sucks when you get done with your summit then have to break down camp and drive home when your already tired.