Barr Trail -$20 FEE? - NEED URGENT RESPONSE BY TUES 3-29

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Barr Trail -$20 FEE? - NEED URGENT RESPONSE BY TUES 3-29

Post by tmathews »

Just got this email (I'm sure a lot of you did):
Hello again to Barr Trail/Camp hikers and friends,

We have been in contact with the City of Manitou Springs and we wanted to pass along the updated information as it pertains to the proposed parking fees.

- There will not be a resolution on the parking fee structure at tonight's Council meeting. The final plan has not been decided so there is still room for change.
- There will be further dialog and input requested from the public. We will keep you informed either with website postings or emails.

Your voice and our meeting with the City of Manitou have been very productive. They do want to work with Barr Trail, Barr Camp, and Pikes Peak Hikers.

Happy Trails,

Neal & Teresa
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

If you live there, it would help to go to the City Council meetings. Sometimes they listen, sometimes they don't, but if you don't go they're almost guaranteed not to listen.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The Manitou council approved the plan. Since the plan seems to be to charge for parking starting in late May, we'll find out soon enough what the actual charges are. One of the committee members told me at the last public meeting that they'll be able to quickly change the parking fees (automated kiosk), so public outcry in May will probably determine the final result.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

Jim Davies wrote:One of the committee members told me at the last public meeting that they'll be able to quickly change the parking fees (automated kiosk), so public outcry in May will probably determine the final result.
What should happen
City Council: "Gee, our automated kiosk keep getting vandalized. People are obviously unhappy with the rates we are charging to park in that lot. Let's lower them!"

What will probably happen
City Council: "We had to raise rates to pay for the CCtv cameras we need to protect our automated kiosk since they keep getting vandalized."

(I am not suggesting that someone should vandalize the kiosks, only predicting that someone will.)
dmccool
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dmccool »

Jim Davies wrote:One of the committee members told me at the last public meeting that they'll be able to quickly change the parking fees (automated kiosk), so public outcry in May will probably determine the final result.
Looks like a job for.......Boycott Man! If the masses refuse to go (and therefore refuse to pay) we might be able to send the message. I hate to hurt the Manitou economy, but a good-ol-fashioned STRIKE might be in order.
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

dmccool wrote:
Looks like a job for.......Boycott Man! If the masses refuse to go (and therefore refuse to pay) we might be able to send the message. I hate to hurt the Manitou economy, but a good-ol-fashioned STRIKE might be in order.
Why not contact the local business directly to inform of the potential hit to their pocketbook. I'm sure that will get their attention and begin expressing their displeasure to the committee.
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glacierPaul »

Are there going to be facilities provided(besides the pay kiosk/btw, these cost $10,000+)? Are they going to plow the lot thru the winter? Are they going to maintain the lot daily, and do regular trail clean up? I only charge $5 to provide this. And even at $5, I get grief like I am charging $20. And yes, there will be vandalism, I speak from experience. $20 should get you what I provide, plus a sherpa, red carpet from your car to the trailhead, then rose petals from there to the summit and snacks and water provided.
+1 on getting local businesses to rally behind you, though hearing from enough hikers whom claim to spend real money in town should be incentive enough to rethink this dilema that will happen from a $20 parking fee.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

glacierPaul wrote:Are there going to be facilities provided?
There's a bathroom, and sometimes a porta' potty (usually during the winter months, though this year I think the bathroom was open all winter).
glacierPaul wrote:Are they going to plow the lot thru the winter?
They do already.
glacierPaul wrote:Are they going to maintain the lot daily, and do regular trail clean up?
Trail clean up is volunteers doing the work, and those of us that pick up the traces that others left behind. ;)
The pot holes in the Barr lot needs attention.
glacierPaul wrote:there will be vandalism
Already happens (to cars) from time to time.

I think they will rethink the $20 fee. Personally, I think the Barr trail lot should be off limits to incliners anyway. And I'm an incliner. But I don't park in the lot unless I'm going up Barr trail. Plus, I typically go to the incline during "low use hours" unless it's summer, because even at 5:30-6am it's hard to find parking.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Hopefully they will be voted out of office next election. City Councils have a very hard time not voting for a tax increase because it benefits them, not necessarily the community.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

d_baker wrote:There's a bathroom, and sometimes a porta' potty (usually during the winter months, though this year I think the bathroom was open all winter).
The bathroom building is now heated, thanks to the efforts of Matt Carpenter, so the portapotties are history.

I'm hoping that reason will prevail on the parking fees. It's not over yet, by a long shot. There will be a revolt if they carry through with the $20 plan.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glacierPaul »

Jim or d_baker, is the "heated" bathroom a vault/pit toilet or do they have running water & sewer?, could explain the high fee. As for the lot being maintained, is there trash/recycle cans, dog waste bags and do they put sand down on the ice in the lot? Is the lot paved or dirt? I put down recycled asphalt on the dirt, to help with the mud. Does this lot have tax money behind it, or is it all fee based? Thanks for answering the questions guy's, just curious, even this pay lot owner thinks $20 is ridiculous.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

glacierPaul wrote:do they have running water & sewer?
Running water & sewer, nothing special with stalls or anything from what I remember. I forgot they were heated though! It's been a while since I've actually used those.
glacierPaul wrote:is there trash/recycle cans?
yes
glacierPaul wrote:dog waste bags?
at the TH, yes I do believe there is
glacierPaul wrote:do they put sand down on the ice in the lot?
yes, and is plowed. not that we've needed it this year since we've been screwed by any decent weather events!
glacierPaul wrote:Does this lot have tax money behind it?
Yes, I believe so.