Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tigiwon Road status

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Tigiwon Road status

Postby tmathews » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:32 am

Well, I was hoping to get up the road to climb Cross Couloir this weekend since the road traditionally opens on 6/20. I just called the USFS office in Minturn and the person I spoke to said that he can say with almost 100% certainty that the road will not be opening up this week. He told me that he doesn't know when it will open up at all this season because of timber operations going on in the area. Just FYI for anyone else considering Holy Cross in the coming weeks.

Re: Tigiwon Road status

Postby big_red_pride » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:59 am

Thanks for the update Terry! I was hoping to do Holy Cross this coming weekend via the Halo Ridge, sounds like that plan is out. Maybe later on this season...one can hope.

Postby CarpeDM » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:53 am

Yeah me too, Big_Red. If it's closed all summer, it looks like I might be hiking the road or making some other long trip out of it (Holy Cross City perhaps?). Any interest out there for something like that?

Thanks for the heads-up, Terry.
"Skepticism is the first step towards truth." - Denis Diderot
"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition." - Bertrand Russell
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
"Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory And I ain't saying it ain't a fact. But I've heard that I'm on the road to Purgatory And I don't like the sound of that.
I believe in love and I live my life accordingly. But I choose to let the mystery be" - Iris Dement

Postby CarpeDM » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:06 am

I just called the USFS in Minturn, too, and it looks like I might not even be hiking the road. They're still making the decision, but it sounds like they will close it to all human traffic for the entire season. The woman I spoke with was suggesting starting from the Fancy Pass trail.

Sigh.
"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition." - Bertrand Russell
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
"Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory And I ain't saying it ain't a fact. But I've heard that I'm on the road to Purgatory And I don't like the sound of that.
I believe in love and I live my life accordingly. But I choose to let the mystery be" - Iris Dement

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:13 am

I urge anyone even remotely interested in hiking Holy Cross this summer to call the US Forest Service office and inquire about the road. Let's make them realize how many people this would impact!

USFS Holy Cross office: 970-827-5715
USFS Eagle District office: 970-328-6388

Email: cbmyers@fs.fed.us

It's up to us to ask them detailed questions and find out if this road really needs to be closed for the summer.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby big_red_pride » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:27 am

Thanks Bill for the info! CarpeDM, thanks for the update. Sounds like my plan for HC will have to wait til next summer. I am going to make sure I call the office sometime this week. Hopefully Bill's suggestion will work and maybe get the road open sooner rather than later.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:49 am

As much as it would stink for the road to be closed all year, they really need to do it at some point to take out a bunch of dangerous trees. They have had this project in their sights now for 2 years and keep delaying due to budgets, but this really does need to be done at some point for safety reasons. Its not the only location in the area that is becoming a hazard either, I know of two East Vail trails (Bighorn and Gore Creek) that have some serious deadfall concerns as well. Mainly because of the weakened forest health from the Mtn Pine Beetle...

You can climb from Fall Creek, its a longer route and generally involves going over Holy Cross Ridge from the upper Tuhare Lakes. Works best with a back pack into the Tuhare Lakes. I can try and put together a quick route post with a map and a couple of pics. It won't be as detailed as the usual 14ers routes on the site and I have never climbed it, but it would be a good bit of information for people looking for an alternate route. I may even give it a go later this summer just for my own curiosity...
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:02 am

If they really need to do it, the solution is simple... Remove trees during the week and open the road on the weekend and put up a sign that says "Hey, you people that want to enjoy the wilderness, watch out for falling trees!"

Sure, it would be easier for the USFS to just close the road for the year, but there's probably a better way that won't piss off thousands of people. Don't they already have a bad enough reputation? Yes

Postby CarpeDM » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:05 am

Thanks, Bill, for raising the profile of this issue.

Also, thanks, Chicago Transplant. I'd be interested in any info you have and possibly going with you. I take it you mean to come up the Fall Creek trail from the south - since coming from the north would mean starting at the parking area at the end of Tigiwon Road, right?

As you might have seen from my peak list, I've got 3 14ers left - Holy Cross being the "easiest" of them. I will be heading up there this year along some route. And I have been planning/expecting to do a route that also got me over to Holy Cross Ridge.

Also, one tidbit: I didn't pay attention to all the info/directions, but the USFS person did say that that alternate Fancy Pass TH was 2wd accessible.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:21 am

Let's hope they don't recommend the Fancy Pass (includes all of HC Ridge) option on Holy Cross to too many beginners. That's a loooong time above 12k and definitely harder than the standard trail.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:54 am

You can get to the lower parking for Fall Creek in 2WD, might be a little rough in places. Unless you have a heavily modified vehicle, that is the same parking for 4WD too. The upper trailhead is off the Holy Cross City Jeep Road, which is in the same league (or even harder) than the Como Road.

You don't have to go over all of Holy Cross Ridge if you start at the Fall Creek trail, you hike over Fall Creek pass then go up past the Tuhare Lakes and only have to climb the 13831' high point of HCR. I believe the route to this point in in Gerry Roach's 13ers book as the standard route for HCR. I have a pic of the slopes shown as a possible bailout route on my Halo Ridge route page under the more photos tab... but you are correct, its still not a good beginner route! There will not be any sort of defined route through the talus on that slope, and one could easily cliff out on the descent!

"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:57 am

Thanks, Mike! Helpful stuff

Next