Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tigiwon Road status

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Tigiwon Road status HC south ridge

Postby Marmot72 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:53 pm

I did the south ridge sat July 16 from the bottom of the HC City jeep road. Very long day - roach says 11.5 RT from French creek TH to the high pt of the ridge; I went to HC summit and walked an additional 2.5 miles each way on the jeep road, so I figure the mileage was around 18 miles. Still tons of snow on the slopes to get up to Point 13,768. Upper lake was full of ice. Unfortunately, no snow above the lake to where you gain the east ridge and it was loose, nasty stuff. I think Chicago Transplant's "bail out" on Halo ridge is a better route down. The terrain below the ridgeline between 13,768 and HC is nothing but talus - pretty treacherous - I was trying to conserve energy by not reclimbing summits on the way back, and a rock slid out from under my foot and the result was 29 stitches in my leg, after I managed to hike down. If you hike the south ridge, stay atop the ridge the entire way unless weather dictates otherwise.

I expect the snowfields to be there through the end of July.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for seeking the path of most resistance.

Re: Tigiwon Road status

Postby Tango2Hotel » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:46 am

A big part of this excursion is to spend the time in the wilderness. I am not looking for a day hike here, I am looking to spend a couple days in the backcountry. Ergo, I am going to stick with trails and take the long way. I do appreciate the guidance and tips especially on the wash out. I think that makes the gold Park my best TH. May have to pay a fee but who does not love giving money to the FS. But Anyway, Does Park Gold have parking anyway. I will likely take the HC Jeep road up to Honkey Dorey. Where exactly is the wash Out?

Another plan, Anyone know about a campsite at Lake Constantine?

Thanks everyone for the assistance and advice! Marmot72, sorry to hear about your leg but glad you made it out.

Postby chrismjx » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:59 am

SO....does anyone have any recent (today is 8/6) updates on the status of the Tigiwon Road? Is it open? Any alternative access to the north ridge trail to the summit? Is it just the road that is closed, or is the area closed to hiking/camping? I wanted to backpack it this summer but only just found out there might be an issue with my plan.....Any information is greatly appreciated!

Postby chrismjx » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:15 am

chrismjx wrote:SO....does anyone have any recent (today is 8/6) updates on the status of the Tigiwon Road? Is it open? Any alternative access to the north ridge trail to the summit? Is it just the road that is closed, or is the area closed to hiking/camping? I wanted to backpack it this summer but only just found out there might be an issue with my plan.....Any information is greatly appreciated!

Weak....I just found the link to the White River NF press release regarding the closure :( I understand the Forest Service has a job to do though, and I definitely appreciate them doing it! I guess I will just have to plan this trip for next summer!

Postby Chewyswimmer » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:35 am

Climbed Holy cross last week and ended up just hiking the road up and improvised on the way down to shorten the trek. You need to be in really good shape to holy cross with the road closed. Just saying.

Postby Mike Abernathy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:30 pm

Shliter Bomb

Postby metalmountain » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:46 pm

Mike Abernathy wrote:Shliter Bomb

http://schlitterbahn.com/
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby Wentzl » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:22 pm

Site says road to open October 16, 2011 or sooner if work complete. Anyone know current status?

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... name=White River National Forest- Alerts & Notices

Postby tmathews » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:24 pm

Wentzl wrote:Site says road to open October 16, 2011 or sooner if work complete. Anyone know current status?

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... name=White River National Forest- Alerts & Notices

Huh. When I called asking about it last week, they told me 10/15.

Postby LynnKH » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:50 pm

Any thoughts on whether the road will open at all next weekend given the recent storm? Or at this point will it stay closed all winter? Any insights or magic 8 ball responses welcome. I was planning to make a go of it tomorrow, but with snow on tigiwon road the mountain bike will be a little unhelpful and I'm really not feeling 31 miles on foot in the snow. Who would have thought Holy Cross would be the mountain to keep me from finishing in 2011? (okay, enough whining)

Postby weschun » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:07 pm

I called the White River Ranger Station on Thursday or Friday. I was told that the "hope" was that the road would be open on the 16th as scheduled. The ranger said that the emphasis was on hope. They will post it on the web site.
I'm striving to be the man my dog thinks I am.

Postby shaunster_co » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:54 pm

Yep, I got the same wording- they are shooting for Oct 16. I was hoping to get in there one last time before winter. Fingers crossed.

PreviousNext