Spanish Creek Beta

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Re: Spanish Creek Beta

Post by SnowAlien »

We just hiked Cottonwood Creek this past weekend and camped by the lake. No mosquitoes whatsoever. We were surprised. I think a couple of chilly nights took care of them.
CincyBearcats
14ers: 58 
13ers: 62
Trip Reports (7)

Post by CincyBearcats »

Just to confirm other reports, there are currently zero mosquitos along the Spanish Creek approach. We literally did not see a single one.
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

A couple of chilly nights??? :lol:

I was in the Wind Rivers for 9 days earlier this month where the mosquitos were absolutely terrible. It got below 20 degrees every night! Still biting skeeters the next morning
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

What I've noticed is that when the snows melt there's a few weeks of extreme swampiness in certain areas, and mosquitoes breed like crazy. It's usually a month of terrible mosquitoes and nothing the rest of the year. This is most evident in the Sangres where there's little precipitation and nothing artificial to curb their numbers.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
SteveBonowski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SteveBonowski »

Folks: Cottonwood Creek access is not resolved, but the trail is open temporarily just for this summer. Negotiations remain underway with the private property owners in the vicinity. Regarding Spanish Creek, sounds like several persons have done it this year. The trail descriptions given confirm what CMC was thinking several years ago; when we decided to have our focus on the Cottonwood Trail; due to the travel problems on Spanish Creek.

Also, the Spanish Creek trail is next to the Zen Center as well as being on their private property. The Center attracts visitors throughout the year who desire quiet and solitude; a desire that is not completely compatible with an active trail.

I'm curious as to where people parked in order to hike up the Spanish Creek trail. There is no parking available on the road; and the road itself is private. Please PM me; it's a curiosity question only.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Anyone know where I can find GPX points for this?
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
FlankerZeb
Trip Reports (0)

Post by FlankerZeb »

Have there been any changes to the past access issues at Spanish Creek? Anyone have a GPX or KML file? Much appreciated.