Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Subaru Forester

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Subaru Forester

Postby Steve Gio » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:11 pm

Well I just bought one and I'm pretty excited about it. \:D/

Re: Subaru Forester

Postby LetsGoHigher » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Enjoy the clearance and AWD. Where do you first plan on taking it?
Is that the summit?

Postby Steve Gio » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:35 pm

Unfortunately the first place was work. Hopefully all that follow will be more enjoyable.

Postby randalmartin » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:48 pm

Nice choice. I bought a Forester a year ago and have been very happy with it.

Postby nkan02 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:52 pm

I would say it is a good compromise choice. I've been mildly frustrated with Forester's inability to get to more difficult THs. On a positive side, its gas mileage is not that bad (although not great) and it is very spacious.
It has frequently been noticed that all mountains appear doomed to pass through the three stages: An inaccessible peak - The most difficult ascent in the Alps - An easy day for a lady. Albert Frederick Mummery, My Climbs in the Alps and Caucasus

Postby CinciKid » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:04 pm

I've gotten my 2000 Subaru Outback up to Jennings Creek TH, N Cottonwood TH, and other roads that require decent clearance. It's got 182,000 on it and still goin strong. I like that its good enough to get me most places i want to go but still gets about 26-28 mpg on the highway. Enjoy

Postby Steve Gio » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:04 pm

Well the ability to drive forest roads is the main reason. The VW GTI was just to low, not to mention $$$ to maintain. My thinking is when the road gets too rough for your vehicle, that is the trail head. This should get us a little farther.

Postby mtnview » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Yes keep everyone posted on how it does to various trailheads. Rav4 here.

I am still looking for the ultimate hikers vehicle, good gas mileage, can handle easy to moderate 4x4 roads and can sleep in it comfortably.
Thought I was onto it with the 2011 Jeep Compass or Patriot but a CVT transmission (think pulleys and steel chain and hydraulic pressure) IMO just looks inherently flawed.

Regards
Allan
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm

Postby nkan02 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:27 pm

I used to have RAV4. Loved that car. Switched to Forester last year. Clearance and MPG is better for RAV. For a real mountaineering car I'd consider XTerra. Of course, MPG sucks :(

Forester did get me to Lindsey TH, S. Colony lakes TH and Capitol TH. But it was not the vehicle for Castle TH. So, some success, but not like XTerra which pretty much gets you whenever you want to go with a peace of mind. Plus that one is a fun car to drive. :)
Last edited by nkan02 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby thebeave7 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:36 pm

I've got an '06 Forester (slightly smaller, but better gas mileage than the new ones) and have been very happy. Yes it's not a super powered driving machine, and yes it's not a 4wd for hardcore jeeping, but I've gotten to pretty much any trailhead that wasn't a jeep road. Upper South Mineral Crk, Yankee Boy(within about 1/2mi of the end), Capitol Crk, Huerfano Valley, N Halfmoon Crk, N Cottonwood Crk, Mayflower Gulch to name a few (no problems at all). If I can't drive it in the Subaru, I can usually run/hike faster than those that can :)

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby Dave B » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:37 pm

My wife just sold her RAV4 for a 4-Runner Trail Edition. It's pretty wicked bad-ass.

The trail head is now pretty much where we feel like starting walking... Well except maybe on the way to Little Bear.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby planet54 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Does a Forester have tow hooks. I don't mind giving stuck vehicles a pull but anymore it seems that there is nothing to hook on to except plastic.

Oops it may sound like I am knocking your new ride . I am considering buying one myself, so I was only asking. Perhaps a better way to put it would be to say , consider having tow hooks installed if they are available. :)
"The world is a great book,of which they that never stir from home read only a page." St. Augustine
"Climbing K2 or floating the Grand Canyon in an innertube;there are some things one would rather have done than do." Edward Abbey

Next