Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Subaru Forester

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Subaru Forester

Postby Scott P » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:57 pm

fAs ar as mileage and for mountain usage I would strongly recommend you get a manual transmission.

Manual Transmission allows for much better control of shifting as you ascend in the mountains for improved power.

I've owned all manuals before the Outback and our Sienna, but the Outback has a manual mode for shifting so you can still downshift manally when in the mountains. A CVT is not the same as an automatic transmission, it's more like having a 1000 speed. Manuals used to get better mileage than automatic, but no manual transmission I know of can equal the mileage of a CVT on the same vehilcle (regardless of make). A CVT should always get better mileage and you can change to manual mode when ever you need to (espcially when going down-hill). Going downhill for engine breaking is usually the only time you need the manual mode because the CVT constanty changes to optimize power. Here is how a CVT works:

http://cars.about.com/od/thingsyouneedtoknow/a/CVT.htm

The Forester is currently rated 21/27 for the manual (no CVT available) and the Outback 24/30 (for the CVT). I've been getting better mileage with my Outback, but it's two years old now (2011).

You are absolutely right on the ground clearance for the 2013's though, though Subaru does say "up to 8.9 inches" for the 2013 Forester and a straight "8.7 inches" for the Outback. I think even when I had them, on paper they were equal, but the Forester exhaust pipe hung lower. They probably vary slightly year to year though.

As said, I recently had both and rate both highly, but to me the Outback has more advantages (except for price, acceleration). A Forester isn't bad though and is still a good vehicle and one that I was very pleased with.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby cftbq » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:14 am

thebeave7 wrote:If I can't drive it in the Subaru, I can usually run/hike faster than those that can :)Eric

My experience also. Love the Forester.
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.

Postby cftbq » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:02 am

mtnview wrote:So has anyone taken their Forester up some of the harder 4x4 trailheads? How was the experience?

Matterhorn Creek - Uncompahgre, Wetterhorn
Nellie Creek - Uncompahgre, Wetterhorn
Baldwin Gulch - Antero
Lead King Basin - Snowmass

North Halfmoon Creek - Mt Massive - surprisingly I got my RAV4 up this one with some road maintenance

We got to all these THs except Nellie Creek in our Forester. And, after doing Nellie Creek in the Izusu Trooper, I have no doubt that I could get the Forester up that road, too!
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.

Previous