Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lake City to Ouray in a Honda CRV?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Lake City to Ouray in a Honda CRV?

Postby jeffskio » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Could a Honda CRV with 8.1 inches of clearence make it to Ouray from Lake City? Which pass would be easier? I have done both with a jeep and some 4wd roads with the CRV and it can do pretty well.

Re: Lake City to Ouray in a Honda CRV?

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:00 pm

I would not recommend going over Engineer (the pass that goes Lake City to Ouray). Almost positive your CRV would handle Cinammon just fine though. This pass goes from Lake City to Silverton then its just a quick trip north up 550 to Ouray.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby MtHurd » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:56 pm

How did you get 8.1 inches of ground clearance. Stock for this years model and the model before that is 6.7 inches.

"AWD ground clearance is unchanged at 6.7 inches."

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/road_tests/2012_honda_cr_v/

Edit: Never mind, I saw that the 2005 model does have 8.1 inches of ground clearance. I guess Honda lowered the ground clearance to squeeze more MPG's out of the new one. That sux.
Last edited by MtHurd on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby geojed » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:58 pm

Don't do Engineer Pass in a CRV [-X [-X . Seriously, it is much more technical than Cinnamon Pass and would eat your CRV up. Go with Cinnamon.

Furthermore, I highly recommend that once you reach Animas Forks at the end of the Cinnamon Pass Trail, and haven't gotten your fill, that you go up California Gulch, turn left at the Hurricane Pass Trail, and then connect to Corkscrew Gulch. Those would be doable in your CRV and would provide some really amazing scenery that you wouldn't get if you descended from Animas Forks to Silverton. It would also drop you off at Red Mountain Pass at the end.

Cheers,

Jed
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby Steve Gio » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:55 pm

So since it is started and since I am planning to go down to that area this summer, how would a 2011 Forester fare in that area. Meaning if I go in at Lake City can I get thru to Silverton or do I have to come out back around and down to Ouray? Hope this isn't too redundant?

Postby denvermikey » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:00 pm

The Forester should have similar ability as the CRV. Again, Cinnamon Pass then down to Silverton should be doable. Some spots here and there to take it slow, but good driving should overcome any of the harder spots.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:02 pm

geojed wrote:Furthermore, I highly recommend that once you reach Animas Forks at the end of the Cinnamon Pass Trail, and haven't gotten your fill, that you go up California Gulch, turn left at the Hurricane Pass Trail, and then connect to Corkscrew Gulch. Those would be doable in your CRV and would provide some really amazing scenery that you wouldn't get if you descended from Animas Forks to Silverton. It would also drop you off at Red Mountain Pass at the end.

Sweet...thanks Jed.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby Tony1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:05 pm

I'm going to jump on this too... How about a Jeep Patriot? I have 4x4 lock and 9 inches of clearance. From the sounds of it, Cinnamon should be no problem, but how about Engineer?

Postby denvermikey » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:11 pm

Cinnamon yes. Engineer east section probably, west section to Ouray - hell no.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby tmathews » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Tony1 wrote:I'm going to jump on this too... How about a Jeep Patriot? I have 4x4 lock and 9 inches of clearance. From the sounds of it, Cinnamon should be no problem, but how about Engineer?

I don't think Engineer would be a big problem for a Liberty if you take it from Lake City. Given that you have low-range 4WD, you could probably make it up Mineral Creek which gains you access to Engineer Pass closer to Ouray (begins right off of US 550). Mineral Creek is steep and rough in places, so you should also be a confident driver offroad. This route will complete the "Alpine Loop" Scenic Byway. Do not take the turnoff for Poughkeepsie Gulch. That's one of the toughest 4WD trails in the San Juans and it appears you now have to have a winch or a rock crawler to get over the rock obstacle near the top.

Postby EM_in_CO » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:04 pm

Took my 2010 Subaru Forester (factory height 8.7) over Cinnamon Pass - direction was Lake City to Silverton - during early September of 2011. There were two spots I was concerned it would bottom out and needed an extra look. The Forester performed well, even in those two spots. It was a fantastic drive.

Of course, keep in mind winter washoff will change the route a bit.

Postby carson_h » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:28 pm

From Lake City, the drive up to Engineer pass isn't bad, but from the top to Ouray is serious. I drove this last year in a stock Toyota Tacoma Off Road (9.3" of clearance) and definitely had a few dings on the skid plates here and there, but nothing serious. If you have ~9 inches of clearance, but no skid plates, then I wouldn't try it. You can see some video of the worst part (from my perspective) @ time 1:20 :

http://vimeo.com/28771584

The drive over Engineer Pass took ~3.5 hours; I think it's fastest to stay on the pavement, but obviously less scenic.

Next