Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lake City to Ouray in a Honda CRV?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Lake City to Ouray in a Honda CRV?

Postby milanst » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:55 pm

You can do it in a pre-2007 CR-V with AWD. I did both engineer pass and cinnamon pass in my 2006. Just pick your line carefully and use low gear.

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Postby San Juan Ron » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:10 pm

Just to clarify, going over Engineer Pass from Lake City and then heading over to Animas Forks/Cinnamon Pass is not very difficult. The "difficult" section is taking the spur just south of Engineer Pass and going down to 550 south of Ouray. Big difference. SJ Ron :mrgreen:
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir

Postby My-Therapy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:35 pm

San Juan Ron wrote:Just to clarify, going over Engineer Pass from Lake City and then heading over to Animas Forks/Cinnamon Pass is not very difficult. The "difficult" section is taking the spur just south of Engineer Pass and going down to 550 south of Ouray. Big difference. SJ Ron :mrgreen:

We just did the spur SJ Ron is referring to after Engineer Pass and heading down to Hwy.550 and into Ouray in a 1998 4Runner with brand new A/T tires and I wouldn't have wanted to do it in anything less capable. There are some pretty nasty/rocky sections that I would not advise taking anything without some ground clearance, 4wd, and decent/good tires.

Postby 434stonemill » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:16 am

This past Labor Day, after hiking Handies/Sunlight/Redcloud on Sat/Sun, drove Cinnamon Pass to Animas Forks then over to Engineer Pass and back into Lake City. Did this in my stock Xterra, with okay tires (not great). This route only has a couple of potential difficult spots, the rest is just a rocky road. The only issue with doing this on Labor Day was that the traffic was really heavy in spots like this.
Attachments
P1010174.JPG
P1010174.JPG (188.16 KiB) Viewed 609 times

Postby TallGrass » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:16 pm

Everything I've seen so far looks like fun. Granted I single-track with a much shorter WB and street tires, but still looks like fun. :-D

I'd second the thought "it's more about the operator than the vehicle." Without developed management skills for momentum, traction, balance (single-trackers), clutch/throttle/brake(s), and line-picking, even capable vehicle can get stuck or passed by a lesser.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Dan_Suitor » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:56 pm

I did the spur San Juan Ron was referring to as well and yes, this is much rougher than Engineer Pass / Cinnamon Pass. I did it in my crew cab 1 ton Dooley 4x4. Thank god for skid plates. Here is a picture of part of the road through my windshield as proof. Yes, that is a sheer 300’ plus cliff on the left.
RoughRoad.jpg
RoughRoad.jpg (61.71 KiB) Viewed 526 times

Postby milanst » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:47 am

The "difficult" section is taking the spur just south of Engineer Pass and going down to 550 south of Ouray. Big difference. SJ Ron

If that is the case, then avoid it unless your CR-V is lifted and has off road tires.

Postby milanst » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:51 am

The only issue with doing this on Labor Day was that the traffic was really heavy in spots like this.

That's weird. I hit the same traffic jam...

Postby WalterMitty » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:28 pm

Dan_Suitor wrote:I did the spur San Juan Ron was referring to as well and yes, this is much rougher than Engineer Pass / Cinnamon Pass. I did it in my crew cab 1 ton Dooley 4x4. Thank god for skid plates. Here is a picture of part of the road through my windshield as proof. Yes, that is a sheer 300’ plus cliff on the left.
RoughRoad.jpg

Nice photo, thanks for sharing.
The “WalterMitty Guarantee™” is in effect. Everything I say makes sense, is true, and is verifiable with three (3) independent sources or you get double your money back!

Postby dr_j » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:16 pm

I've got one of those low-clearance Imprezas (2002), and the whole Alpine Byway has intrigued me, out of the various routes, spurs, etc., what is possible / advisable in my vehicle? It has the awd, but not the clearance.

Postby WalterMitty » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:17 pm

dr_j wrote:I've got one of those low-clearance Imprezas (2002), and the whole Alpine Byway has intrigued me, out of the various routes, spurs, etc., what is possible / advisable in my vehicle? It has the awd, but not the clearance.

That Impreza is a great car, but if it's your primary transportation I would probably recommend against exploring the alpine loop with it to start. Go to one of the towns around the loop and rent a stock Jeep for a couple of days. You can probably get a couple of passes in and find out if it's something you're going to be interested in doing. With that experience to guide you, you'll be better able to answer your original question.
The “WalterMitty Guarantee™” is in effect. Everything I say makes sense, is true, and is verifiable with three (3) independent sources or you get double your money back!

Postby Antonio Banderass » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:12 pm

Here's my Patriot on Cinammon pass a few weeks ago. You're set on that with the Pilot. I haven't tried Engineer with it so I can't comment.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (63.49 KiB) Viewed 323 times

PreviousNext