Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lake City to Ouray in a Honda CRV?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Lake City to Ouray in a Honda CRV?

Postby Brian Thomas » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:49 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:Almost positive your CRV would handle Cinammon just fine though

My '99 did on Friday, one way from Lake City to Silverton. Can't say it was an entirely enjoyable experience, or one that I care to repeat #-o
cinnamon-pass.JPG
cinnamon-pass.JPG (121.05 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby aiyers » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:27 pm

Engineer Pass is doable with 9" of clearance. Some sections might scrape your CRV's bottom. Mineral Creek, like others said, don't even try.
I did the Mineral Creek, Engineer pass to Lake City in my stock 2012 Jeep GC and had not trouble at all. Some rocky sections did scrape my skid plates.

Imogene Pass is doable from Telluride side to the summit. But the descent to Ouray is very steep in some sections and I had to use low range to keep the Jeep slow and steady.

Postby metalmountain » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:34 pm

aiyers wrote:Engineer Pass is doable with 9" of clearance. Some sections might scrape your CRV's bottom. Mineral Creek, like others said, don't even try.
I did the Mineral Creek, Engineer pass to Lake City in my stock 2012 Jeep GC and had not trouble at all. Some rocky sections did scrape my skid plates.

Imogene Pass is doable from Telluride side to the summit. But the descent to Ouray is very steep in some sections and I had to use low range to keep the Jeep slow and steady.

Ohhh Mineral Creek...I was glad my 4runner was already missing a rear bumper before I drove that road. I was thought I was home free once I got off Engineer... #-o
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby XMULE » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:36 am

At the risk of being redundant, strongly advise against west side of Engineer Pass to Ouray. A couple of years ago I drove a (rental) VW Tiguan from Silverton to Animas Forks and – with no prior knowledge of what I was getting myself into [-X -- wound-up going down Engineer Pass to Ouray. About ½ a mile down the road a guy on a dirt bike pulled alongside and warned me not to go any further. “You will damage your car,” he said. But at that point, I had already crossed a gnarly shelf and figured there was no turning back.

Not sure if I could have turned around and made it back over the shelf, but I do know the next hour was pure terror. Not that I feared for my life; I was just afraid that I would a) get well and truly stuck or b) grind a hole in the oil pan. Either way, I’d have spent the next five years paying-off the towing and/or repair costs.

However, I managed to make it down with both myself and the car in one piece. Just took my time and scouted the best way through every rough patch – which was every 100 yards or so. Came down HARD on the frame on at least 4 occasions; no choice but to carry on, albeit with frequent checks to make sure I was not leaving a trail of fluids in my wake.

Have never been more relieved to hit solid pavement than I was when I reached the promised land, aka Rt 550.
Se esmera, coracao
E confia
Na forca do amanha

Postby mountaingoat-G » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:33 pm

I wish I saw this thread prior to my San Juan trip this August. I used to live in Durango and have gone UP Engineer Pass from 550 and had vague memories of it being pretty rough. I've also mountain biked it and had no issues. However, this August I drove DOWN it from the summit to 550 and thought we could have gone off into the gorge on the lower section. I bottomed out countless times and slipped several inches one on an off-camber shelf with a shear 300-foot drop into the gorge right there. My heart skipped several beats. It was 2 hours of hell. This was in a stock Jeep Grand Cherokee with standard ground clearance and a heavy-ish load in the car. Definitely worse going DOWN than UP that section IMO

Postby mtnview » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:00 pm

Well I hope one day to make a trip to the San Juans so have been reading up on the Alpine Loop, watching youtube videos and finding some humor in the various posts here.

My question is that for a mini suv like the Subie Forester, Jeep Patriot etc how do you keep your brakes from failing when you have to descend from a pass like for many miles?

I saw that "jeepstergal" doing Engineer Pass on youtube mentioned her brakes failed.

Can one just upgrade their stock brakes a bit to help?
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm

Postby MUni Rider » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:14 am

mtnview wrote:Well I hope one day to make a trip to the San Juans so have been reading up on the Alpine Loop, watching youtube videos and finding some humor in the various posts here.

My question is that for a mini suv like the Subie Forester, Jeep Patriot etc how do you keep your brakes from failing when you have to descend from a pass like for many miles?

I saw that "jeepstergal" doing Engineer Pass on youtube mentioned her brakes failed.

Can one just upgrade their stock brakes a bit to help?

Low gears. If you are riding your brakes then you need to move somewhere flat like Kansas or never drive in Colorado again. Ever.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby mtnview » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:45 am

Yes of course low gears but I am not sure if most of the small suv's would have a low enough first gear for the steeper parts. Any experiences to share from someone who has taken a Honda CRV, Rav4, Forester, Patriot etc on Cinnamon Pass. Did you have a low enough gear or did you have to ride the brakes quite often to keep your speed in check.

Thanks
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Postby TallGrass » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:28 am

1. Use 1st gear (manual) or Low (auto)

2. Use pull out to rest and let brakes cool a bit.

3. Make sure your parking brake is properly adjusted and in spec (in case regular brakes fail)

4. Brakes fail from getting too hot and boiling the brake fluid. By turning it into a gas versus liquid, the brake pedal becomes pneumatic (cushy) versus hydraulic (solid). You can give your self more room by switching from DOT 3 to DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 but not DOT 5. The other three can mixable. If you know how to bleed your brakes (right rear, left rear, right front, left front), you can suck out the old from the master cylinder, fill, and pump through the new stuff. Easiest with a friend to help and make sure to put the cap back on before pumping.

. . . . . . . . . Dry boiling point . . . Wet boiling point
DOT 3 . . . . 205 °C (401 °F) . . . 140 °C (284 °F)
DOT 4 . . . . 230 °C (446 °F) . . . 155 °C (311 °F)
DOT 5 . . . . 260 °C (500 °F) . . . 180 °C (356 °F) DO NOT USE
DOT 5.1 . . . 270 °C (518 °F) . . . 190 °C (374 °F)

P.S. Kansas ain't very flat, but Florida sure is. That's why one drains and the other is a swamp. :wink:
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby gdthomas » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:29 am

mtnview wrote:...My question is that for a mini suv like the Subie Forester, Jeep Patriot etc how do you keep your brakes from failing when you have to descend from a pass like for many miles?...

Transmissions are generally designed to handle the weight of the car they're attached to. I don't have specific experience with the models you've identified but they're relatively lightweight suv's so it doesn't take as much to prevent them from hurling down the road out of control. I would think 4WD low and 1st gear with an OCCASSIONAL tapping of the brakes on the really steep grades will go a long way toward keeping those vehicles in check. My Ford Expedition has a curb weight of 5,300 lbs. yet it does very well on steep off-road grades without the need to stand on the brakes. I've also driven Jeep Wranglers, Ford and Chevy pickups, Xterras, Toyotas and Internationals off road with similar experiences.

Postby Tony1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:07 am

mtnview wrote:Yes of course low gears but I am not sure if most of the small suv's would have a low enough first gear for the steeper parts. Any experiences to share from someone who has taken a Honda CRV, Rav4, Forester, Patriot etc on Cinnamon Pass. Did you have a low enough gear or did you have to ride the brakes quite often to keep your speed in check.

Thanks

Patriot sucked, everything was too electronic. It was a CVT so the "gears" that you can activate with the shifter are artificial. "1st gear" was WAY too generous with the speed. I'd put it in first and it would start to roll down the road almost as if it were in drive. RPMs would just keep going higher if I didn't use the brakes. I had to use the brakes constantly... Also, if it's rocky and the brakes slip every once in a while, for some reason it goes into "2nd", so you have to keep an eye on the monitor.

I imagine a manual Patriot would do better, but if you rent a car down here, definitely avoid the crap CVT.

Postby mtnview » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:25 pm

Good Info Tony. Yes, I have already decided to stay away from any vehicle with a CVT. Basically a CVT is a snow mobile tranny which is a belt and a couple of pulleys.

I see now the 2014 Patriot/Compass FD1's have dropped the CVT and offer a 6 speed automatic tranny with real gears. Too bad they haven't dumped the CVT yet for the FD2.
I was disaapointed to see the 2014 Subaru Forester now has a CVT instead of 6 speed auto tranny to replace their old 4 speed auto tranny. I though it had the potential to be both reasonable on gas and capable off road with a slight lift and bigger tires. Off my list for now due the CVT.

PreviousNext