Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Porcupines Still Chewing on Car Wires In

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Porcupines Still Chewing on Car Wires In

Postby uwe » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Maroon Lake & Capitol Lake Trailheads?

Thank you in advance for the assist with this question.

Uwe

Re: Porcupines Still Chewing on Car Wires In

Postby RJansen77 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:36 pm

Absolutely at the Maroon Lake TH. Bring wire, mothballs, coyote urine or some combination. A member of our group saw six in just over a mile while hiking there a few weeks ago!
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby DaveLanders » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:06 pm

I was parked at the Capitol Lake trailhead from 6/26 to 7/3. I was car camped part of the time, and I
was camping near Capitol Lake part of the time. I didn't have any encounters with porcupines,
and my truck is still running :D

Postby towalkinwater » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Last week, we had a porcupine come into our camp near the base of Maroon Peak's route two consecutive nights chewing on gear. I woke up the first night with it under my tent fly nibbling on my boots. I didn't need the ice axe to climb Maroon, but it certainly worked as a projectile to get the damned thing to move out of camp. Several nights later, we were camped at Geneva Lake in preparation to climb Snowmass's "S" Ridge. Another porcupine would not leave us alone. A well thrown rock sent it on its way. We ended up breaking camp and hanging all of our gear while we did the climb. No sense in letting it chew up $900 worth of tents! The Maroon Bells Wilderness porcupines are indignant and relentless! Beware...

Postby DurangoJenn » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:40 am

I assume these porcupines are at the campgrounds there, too? I'll be camping at Silver Queen this week so guess I better add porcupine deterrents to the pre-trip checklist. Any advice on the best ways to keep them at bay is appreciated (like what do you do with the mothballs? Sprinkle them around the vehicle?). TIA.

Postby unclegar » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:25 pm

I sprinkled moth ball crystals around my car and a few underneath and had no issue with porcupines that time (and there were some around), so I'd say that worked.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby Carl » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:40 pm

RJansen77 wrote:Absolutely at the Maroon Lake TH.

As we drove up Maroon Creek Road last weekend I told Rob I thought the problem porcupines had been relocated. About five minutes later we rounded the corner just below the parking lot and saw a fat porcupine waddling along the road nearing the parking lot. Needless to say either him or his friends feasted on the underside of my vehicle throughout the night. Undeterred by the coyote urine and pepper spray.

Postby somethingrandom » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:00 pm

Not to totally thread-jack but how does porcupine taste?

A 9mm would certainly weigh less than all the food you take on a multi-night hike...

Just sayin...
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby tmathews » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:01 pm

Carl wrote:

As we drove up Maroon Creek Road last weekend I told Rob I thought the problem porcupines had been relocated. About five minutes later we rounded the corner just below the parking lot and saw a fat porcupine waddling along the road nearing the parking lot. Needless to say either him or his friends feasted on the underside of my vehicle throughout the night. Undeterred by the coyote urine and pepper spray.

RJansen77 was up there again? :shock:

Moth balls world well for me several times this summer. Hope the experience wasn't too expensive for you, Carl! :wft:

Postby RJansen77 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:05 pm

tmathews wrote:
Carl wrote:

RJansen77 was up there again? :shock:

Moth balls world well for me several times this summer. Hope the experience wasn't too expensive for you, Carl! :wft:

Think he's referring to a different Rob, Terry. I haven't been back since the traverse, had the Leadville Trail Marathon and just finished a trip in the SJs.

Agree though, hope they didn't do any serious damage, Carl!
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby djkest » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:12 pm

Seems like these Porcupines are a serious problem, but what is the humane and ethical thing to do in this case?
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Postby San Juan Ron » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:55 am

Don't come to the San Juans without your balls -- moth balls that is! Apply liberally around and under car. To be safe I leave the half opened box open and under the car for "extra protection". Remember, LNT so pack up your balls when you leave. SJ Ron :)

Next