Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Porcupines Still Chewing on Car Wires In

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Porcupines Still Chewing on Car Wires In

Postby slowhead » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:05 am

Yes, the porcupines at Crater Lake (below the Maroons) are cute but bothersome. They also will scare you in the night with their moan, something like a crying dog, but not quite. I believe the scent of rehydrated Indian food is too good of an attractant. So, keep your thick gloves handy in case you have to chase them away. I leaped out of my tent the first time with a knife and light, not knowing what the heck was snuffling around out there...

Postby peter303 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:49 am

Last November I visited the Florida Everglades. The problem there are vultures that eat the plastic parts of cars. One lot there were 50 of them milling about. They are not shy and will start dinner with people in the area. we had to bang on the car to get them off of it. The go for the vehicles in the shade first.

Postby sjpwarsaw » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:27 am

Would vinegar (possibly deluted), work by spraying it on the under side of your vehicle? I've heard it works in town for other animals.

Postby nkan02 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:45 am

Mothballs all the way. $3 for a box in your local grocery store or in Aspen's store - way cheaper than chicken wire with stakes.
I now store my mothball stash in a plastic sealable tupperware container.

Postby sunny1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:49 am

San Juan Ron wrote:Don't come to the San Juans without your balls -- moth balls that is! Apply liberally around and under car. To be safe I leave the half opened box open and under the car for "extra protection". Remember, LNT so pack up your balls when you leave. SJ Ron :)

Great advice! :lol: :mrgreen:
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby Oldskool70 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:48 am

What about Racoons? I had one rip the rubber off my rear wiper blade of my pathfinder...while I truck camped!
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.

Postby 2giqs » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:11 pm

might want to check underneath that rental car before leaving the airport:

DENVER (CBS4) Travelers have a warning for drivers who park their cars near Denver International Airport (DIA). Rabbits are chewing the wires under many cars costing owners a lot of money. The rabbits get in and chew the brake lines, the clutch lines and other wiring. Local car repair shops estimates they can do thousands of dollars in damage.

“When I had the trouble with the oil light coming on, the dealer told me the wires that controlled the air conditioning were chewed,” said Ken Blum, one car owner who knows all about the not so funny bunny business at DIA.

Blum has had to have repairs done on his car twice due to rabbit damage and he estimates the cost at approximately $700.

“I saw no signs…nothing to tell me, ‘Hey, beware’,” Blum told CBS4. “My insurance didn’t cover it, the manufacturer didn’t cover it.”

This isn’t a new problem at the airport. CBS4 first started covering hungry hares in 1999. They were munching on the wires of de-icing equipment. Now it seems they’ve moved to the outlying parking lots.

CBS4 contacted airport officials about the problem. They said that only a small percentage of the people who park out there ever complain of rabbit caused car problems. They also told CBS4 that United States Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services agents patrol the parking lots and remove rabbits when they see them.

(credit: CBS)

Hungry hares are not just a problem at DIA, other private parking lots are having trouble too. Lot owners tell CBS4 that they’re trying to deter the rabbits with extra fencing and coyote urine.

–Written for the Web by CBS4 Special Projects Producer Libby Smith

Postby MonGoose » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:59 pm

I've used a bottle of fox piss (marketed for hunters) which can be purchased at most sporting goods stores. Supposedly, porcupines don't like foxes and spraying the scent on your tires keeps them away. The same approach could be used around your campsite.

Postby Dex » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:57 pm

unclegar wrote:I sprinkled moth ball crystals around my car and a few underneath and had no issue with porcupines that time (and there were some around), so I'd say that worked.

I guessing a few people will pop up to say that moth balls are poisonous.
Would just putting them in a few containers around the car work?
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Johnson » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:27 pm

Dex wrote:
unclegar wrote:I sprinkled moth ball crystals around my car and a few underneath and had no issue with porcupines that time (and there were some around), so I'd say that worked.

I placed the mothball chrystals into 4 ziplock bags. Once at the trailhead I opened them and placed one behind each wheel. When I got back to my car I just sealed the bags for use next time. Not sure if it helped but I felt better about using them.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby Dex » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:20 pm

Johnson wrote:
Dex wrote:

I placed the mothball chrystals into 4 ziplock bags. Once at the trailhead I opened them and placed one behind each wheel. When I got back to my car I just sealed the bags for use next time. Not sure if it helped but I felt better about using them.

I have a RV and after a recent thread about mothballs I went with the Ziplock bags. It is a good idea to put a few on top of the engine - REMEMBER TO REMOVE THEM OR YOU WILL SMELL THEM WHEN YOU DRIVE AWAY. After camping for awhile I found pine nettles and twigs on top of the engine. I'm guessing a squirrel was setting up home there.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby jsdratm » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:04 pm

Based on this video, don't keep any corncobs on your person or vehicle or s**t might get real :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZaRTAoGelQ

PreviousNext