Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Highway 67/96 Closure, Custer County

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Highway 67/96 Closure, Custer County

Postby mtgirl » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:21 pm

Just an FYI for those of you heading out to the Westcliffe area to climb in the Sangres........there is a new wildfire burning in Wetmore. Highway 67 South from Florence to Wetmore is closed, and Highway 96 in Wetmore is closed in both directions. Westcliffe can still be accessed from the north by taking 115 South to 50 West thru Canon City to Texas Creek, then 69 South to Westcliffe.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Re: Highway 67/96 Closure, Custer County

Postby Alpineair » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:12 pm

I'm not anti-social, I'm anti-stupid!

Re: Highway 67/96 Closure, Custer County

Postby MUni Rider » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:08 am

It's pretty bad. It's still all on the East side of 96 when I left there about 45 minutes ago. It's burned up to the road, but not crossed it. The winds are still insane at midnight. Crazy, but it's cooled off and laying down, at least the southern edge up on the mountain where I was working. I never saw the north and farther Eastern stuff (over the ridge) so I have no idea what is happening over there. Headed back in at 6:00 am. We are expecting high winds, red flag tomorrow. Sucks.--- night night.... I got to wake up in 3 hours.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)