Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Santa Fe Peak and others from CR263

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Santa Fe Peak and others from CR263

Postby rking007 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:37 pm

I don't have the Quad for the area and you can only zoom in so far on Google maps but does anyone know if CR263 is accessible from CR260 near Montezuma? Looking to do Santa Fe and the rest of the chain from that route on Sunday since there is apparently no public parking in Montezuma? Don't feel like adding miles having to walk up to Quail mine and through town... :-D Thanks in advance!
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Re: Santa Fe Peak and others from CR263

Postby mike offerman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:43 am

I am not sure about 263, but you could get a car a little ways up 264 and park outside of town on forest service land.

Postby jsdratm » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:47 am

I did Santa Fe and Sullivan via 264 a month or so ago and ended up parking at the Peru Creek Trailhead because of the mentioned parking concerns. I took my mountain bike with me so I could ride back easily. As you head into Montezuma, you have to go up a hill, which sucks, but some nice fellow gave me a lift into town and then I proceeded up the switchbacked road to Santa Fe. There is enough space to park on 264 in a few places without impeding traffic, but there are several houses in the first mile whose owners may take issue.

As far as 263, that east side of the ridge looked pretty steep and I'm not sure that it would be doable. A better route might be aiming for the saddle between Revenue and Santa Fe, then following that ridge up to Santa Fe.

Postby Rich H » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:43 am

Drive part way up 264 and there is parking on the side - We looped around to Webster Pass and back down.

Postby Monster5 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:44 am

Related question - anybody have an idea on recent Geneva Creek (off of Guanella) road conditions? Checked the 4wd sites
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich

Postby gurlyclimber » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:50 pm

It was clear as of 2 weeks ago but I imagine things have changed since then.
There are some trips you never fully come back from.