Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bald Mountain/Baldy Road TH Conditions

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Bald Mountain/Baldy Road TH Conditions

Postby Chris[07] » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi - does anyone know (or care to speculate) how far the road is open towards the the Bald Mountain trailhead near Breckenridge? I'm in a capable four-wheel drive vehicle.

http://www.13ers.com/routemain.php?route=bald1
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailheads2.php?thparm=fr15

I'm not sure how much snow is on the ground in Breck right now, and was thinking of making an attempt up Bald Mountain this weekend.

Thanks a lot for any info you can provide!

-Chris

Re: Bald Mountain/Baldy Road TH Conditions

Postby Breckskier » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:26 pm

The road to the TH is always open. What kind of capable 4WD are you talking about? You might be able to rally up the trail a bit but it won't save you a ton of mileage. Maybe I'll take a detour home from work and check it out.
"If you don't do it this year you'll only be 1 year older when you do." -Warren Miller

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:53 pm

John (or anyone)...
Is the Boreas Pass road still open to the top from either or both sides?
My lazy self might find its way up there for Boreas this weekend.
OP, this road also accesses Bald for a pretty easy ascent.
Thanks.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby Chris[07] » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks for the response. Per Bill's 13ers.com description, "Good-clearance 4WD vehicles can drive all the way up to 12,000’ on the start of the north ridge." I wasn't too clear, but was wondering if I could make it up that far. Maybe I should just suck it up and hike the whole thing! I'm in a Toyota FJ.

Postby powhound » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:37 pm

Like Breckskier said, the winter trailhead on Mt. Baldy Rd...across the street from the bus stop... is always accessible. In summer you can drive up this road a ways, but in winter the plow pushes the snow across the entrance blocking access. Matt...re: Boreas Pass from the Breck side...I think I recall seeing a sign stating they close the gate at the winter trailhead on November 1st.

Postby DeucesWild » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:38 pm

Chris[07] wrote:Thanks for the response. Per Bill's 13ers.com description, "Good-clearance 4WD vehicles can drive all the way up to 12,000’ on the start of the north ridge." I wasn't too clear, but was wondering if I could make it up that far. Maybe I should just suck it up and hike the whole thing! I'm in a Toyota FJ.

There isn't much left to hike if you drive up that far...

There are structures up there but from them to the summit isn't much of a hike. Start lower and get some exercise.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby Breckskier » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:42 pm

Yeah you're not going to drive to 12,000 at this time of year. And if you did you'd have a 40 minute hike on your hands. You might be able to drive up the road a little ways if they haven't plowed that mound in yet. Its an easy flat road walk to just below treeline either way.

Matt, I think November 1st sounds right. That would add quite a bit of distance to an otherwise easy ascent. If you're really contemplating that let me know and I'll run up there and check the sign for you.
"If you don't do it this year you'll only be 1 year older when you do." -Warren Miller