Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Best Day Hikes

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Best Day Hikes

Postby s_mooty » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:43 am

Hey all,

I've only lived out here a few months and I've fallen in love with the hiking. I have two friends flying up from FL in two weeks and I was wondering if anyone could suggest some great day hikes? Anything with great mountain views, and not super difficult or long. Maybe not a hike with a lot of elevation change either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Keep it goin'

Re: Best Day Hikes

Postby colokeith » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:48 am

any area in particular? (IE how far are you willing to drive)

Are you ok with needing skiis or snowshoes? It might actually snow in the mountains one of these days :D
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby s_mooty » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:25 pm

colokeith wrote:It might actually snow in the mountains one of these days :D

Ha! I'm not from here so I figured that since it's winter all the mountains would be covered, but after reading some TR I guess I was wrong.

But I live in Longmont, just N of Boulder..I guess anything within fifty miles is what I'm looking for. Maybe something in RMNP, but I don't know what kind of effect the fire has on hiking. But, I know I need to get some shoes and skis and everything else, but my buddy from FL will not want to buy any gear like that, so I guess that's a "no".

Thanks
Keep it goin'

Postby wildlobo71 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:44 pm

A day is 24 hours in length... the best day hike is anything you can do in that period.

Preferably with enough time left over to drink a beer.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby colokeith » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:53 pm

It has been full on summer time around here lately!!

Flat irons or elderado canyon state park might fit the bill.

Mt Sniktau off loveland pass is a pretty short hike. (expect windy cold conditions as this is above treeline)

Goat mountain in Littleton should remain dry, and has some cool views (although the views are of SW Denver not mountains) http://www.everytrail.com/guide/goat-mountain

FYI you can rent Snowshoes at REI if conditions change in the next couple of weeks.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby sunny1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:20 pm

s_mooty wrote:Hey all,

I've only lived out here a few months and I've fallen in love with the hiking. I have two friends flying up from FL in two weeks and I was wondering if anyone could suggest some great day hikes? Anything with great mountain views, and not super difficult or long. Maybe not a hike with a lot of elevation change either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Check out Green Mountain, 8,144 ft elev in Boulder - several ways to climb it, very nice views of the continental divide on a clear day.
The easiest approach is the west ridge trail, only 2.8 mi r/t with 600 ft of elev gain - this has been a great place to bring out of state friends/family who aren't used to elevation hiking.
My personal favorite approach is via Gregory Canyon - around 5.3 mi r/t and a bit over 2000 ft elev gain. There's a $5 fee to park at the Gregory Canyon TH if you're not a Boulder County resident.

There's Twin Sisters just across from/east of Long's peak. I believe it's around 7.8 mi r/t, 2000 ft elev gain. If we get snow, you'd need snowshoes. The summit can be windy and cold in winter. Spectacular views of Longs and surrounding area.

Mt Sniktau from Loveland Pass will be more than 50 mi drive for you, but at 13K elev, definitely provides that 'top of the world' feeling and views. It will be windy and cold in December. If you go to the summit of Sniktau, it's approx 3.8 mi r/t, 1800+ ft elev gain. The ridge is windblown, I've used microspikes up there in winter, but never snowshoes.

Chief Mtn, 11,710 elev, is between Idaho Spgs and Evergreen. It's an approx 2.2-3 mi hike (depending on how good you are at finding the unmarked parking/TH!) and around 1000 ft elev gain. The summit views are superb. Again, expect windy/cold conditions in December. If it snows, you may need snowshoes and also possibly microspikes. The trail is popular and generally packed down in winter.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby SteveBonowski » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:56 pm

Check out this link to the Jefferson County Open Space system: www.jeffco.us/openspace/index.htm . I've been in Deer Creek and Mt. Falcon parks in the past five days. Both are free of meaningful snow at this time.

Here's the link for your county's parks: www.bouldercounty.org/dept/openspace/pages/default.aspx

The Colorado Mountain Club in Golden offers a series of best hike books written by members: for Ft. Collins, Boulder, Denver, Colorado Springs. Visit www.cmc.org ; or call 303-279-3080, ext. 2 or 100, for membership services. There is a Club office in Boulder, but I have no current info on location or office hours as they recently moved. The Golden office can give you that.

Postby SteveBonowski » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 pm

My town of Lakewood also has a wonderful park called William F. Hayden Park on Green Mountain. It gets up to 6,800' and offers nice views of Mt. Evans & its neighbor peaks to the west. It's free of snow at this time, but do prepare for possible wind as it's almost completely treeless. The main circuit around the mountain is about 6.2 miles and maybe 1,300' of total gain.

The link is too long to type in on its own. But go to www.lakewood.org . Then check on Arts, Parks, Recreation at the top.

Postby pseudoghost » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:10 pm

Chief Mtn, 11,710 elev, is between Idaho Spgs and Evergreen. It's an approx 2.2-3 mi hike (depending on how good you are at finding the unmarked parking/TH!) and around 1000 ft elev gain. The summit views are superb. Again, expect windy/cold conditions in December. If it snows, you may need snowshoes and also possibly microspikes. The trail is popular and generally packed down in winter.

+1 for Chief Mountain. Easily the best hike within 30 minutes of Denver. Easy access to the trailhead, the road is always open (top of Echo Mountain Chair lift).

Farther north, there are some really good trails from the Brainard Lake area (Lake Isabelle or Blue Lake come to mind), but the main trailhead is closed so you'd have to walk in quite a ways.