Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Pikes Peak Highway opening to bikes year-round

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Pikes Peak Highway opening to bikes year-round

Postby Jim Davies » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:37 am

This could be the ultimate cyclist's check-mark - biking a 14er in winter.
http://articles.outtherecolorado.com/articles/cyclists-2062-highway-peak.html
"I am thrilled," said local cyclist and cycling advocate Al Brody, who plans to ride to the summit in January, first on a bicycle and then on a unicycle.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Re: Pikes Peak Highway opening to bikes year-round

Postby madbuck » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:23 am

Fantastic! Really enjoyed the TR on here that compared it to other rides, but haven't done it yet and thought I missed a good opportunity in September,
Snowflake icons aside, riding it on a clear, non-summer-weekend day sounds great.
Thanks for sharing.

Postby justiner » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:12 am

Sigh. Yup: I'm on it. Maybe a Pikes/Evans winter double? The changes that's been done before seem pretty slim. When was the road on top of Evan's built? There's reports of cyclists going up Pikes, before pneumatic tires were utilized. Before the damn thing was paved.
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby ezabielski » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:58 pm

justiner wrote:

Sigh. Yup: I'm on it. Maybe a Pikes/Evans winter double? The changes that's been done before seem pretty slim. When was the road on top of Evan's built? There's reports of cyclists going up Pikes, before pneumatic tires were utilized. Before the damn thing was paved.

Denver's Mayor Peer proposed that a road be constructed to the top of Mount Evans. In 1917, he procured state funds to build the road. It was completed in 1927.

http://www.mountevans.com/MountEvansCom/Mount-Evans-About.HTML

Postby Mark A Steiner » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:52 pm

Mount Evans highway is overseen by City and County of Denver (parks), National Forest Service and of course CDOT. Since CDOT is responsible for the road itself, the SOP has been to close the road above Summit Lake day after Labor Day, and above Echo Lake after the first "significant" snowfall. Some changes would have to be made for opening this road in a manner similar the apparent cooperative spirit for the Pikes Peak Highway.

Wonder who will oversee keeping the Pikes Peak road clear in winter?
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby Jim Davies » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:55 pm

The PP Highway is already open to cars all year (when weather allows). The city of Colorado Springs collects tolls, maintains it, and keeps it plowed. The change is that bicycles will now be allowed. Management of the Mount Evans road is unrelated.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:57 pm

Jim, thanks so much for posting this great news.

Postby peter303 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:16 pm

The road was fully paved about 3 years ago. That makes it safer for road bikes.

Last ttwo time I took the road there were bikes, but as part of a managed tour. Didnt seem to be any major problems with both on the road.

Postby MuchosPixels » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:26 pm

peter303 wrote:The road was fully paved about 3 years ago. That makes it safer for road bikes.

Last ttwo time I took the road there were bikes, but as part of a managed tour. Didnt seem to be any major problems with both on the road.

I was there on April 2011 and it was not paved all the way. Maybe they finished it recently?

But man. amazing news. I wanted to ride it last year though it would awesome. It has very little traffic most of the year.

Postby tlongpine » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:11 pm

This is outstanding news. I've always wanted to spin up that road!
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby Oldskool70 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:14 am

The article did not confirm this new allowance as a seasonal thing or a year-round rule change. As one of the 1000+ folks that rode in September, I find it hard to believe they would allow this during the peak period ( memorial day to labor day). There was still plenty of traffic having to dodge my behind on the way up. Although I did not have any ‘incidents’ , some of those shoulders (some on curves) just do not have ANY room & folks were very close to me. If a vehicle (or bike) comes down while a care scoots over to pass me disaster will strike on these narrow roads.

I dunno. I had a blast (especially going 45+mph downhill), but realized 20 minutes into my trek my safety was at risk. Someone sent me a survey after the fact & I voiced my concern. The results were then sent to me & surprisingly of those 1000 folks only 10% had reservations about the idea. Must just be me I guess. Just playing devils-advocate here so please don’t rip into me!!! :-s
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:26 am

MuchosPixels wrote:I was there on April 2011 and it was not paved all the way. Maybe they finished it recently?

They finished paving in summer of 2011. The fish in Severy Creek were reported to be delighted, although they later lost their cachet as pure-bred Greenback Cutthroat Trout.

Next