Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

North Elbert TH

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

North Elbert TH

Postby Lemmiwinks » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:25 pm

I haven't seen a conditions or trailhead report recently on the North Elbert TH. Does anyone know if it's still accessible, or is the South Elbert TH gonna be the only option?

Secondly, if the North Elbert TH IS accessible, which route (East Ridge or NE Ridge) would be the best for a winter ascent. I know that the East Ridge route is the standard winter route, but that's usually because the North Elbert TH is closed in winter. Thanks for any input.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Re: North Elbert TH

Postby mschatten » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:59 pm

I'm also interested on this topic. And, whether the North East Elbert TH is safe, etc for avalanche conditions, etc? Thanks for any info.

Re: North Elbert TH

Postby sgladbach » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:08 am

The Twin lakes (SE) TH is the normal winter TH and provides an avy safe route (assuming that you stay on it.)

The NE (Halfmoon) TH is usually snowed in in the winter (though it was not when I was there during the last week of December.) I can not tell you whether or not the road is open to the TH, but I'd bet you $$$ it is not. The walk to the TH is about 6 miles once the road gets snowed in.

If you want Elbert in the winter, the SE ridge is actually one of the easier (though longer) of the oft-climbed winter 14ers.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?