Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Boulder may drop TH fees

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Boulder may drop TH fees

Postby Kapelmuur » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:11 pm

Long Live the Fighters
Unremarkable feats of bike racing, mountain climbing and life in the nation's perfect suburb.

Re: Boulder may drop TH fees

Postby LadySapphira » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Thanks for the info =)

Postby MountainHiker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:42 pm

I wonder if the people at NCAR complained they had more out of county people using their bathrooms. And since their hours are not as long as the hiking day they would have had people using their woods. Both were predictable results.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Tempelton » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:36 pm

Well this would be convenient for all of my South Mesa running needs. As a JeffCo resident, I sure do pay a lot of sales tax in BoCo.

Postby SteveBonowski » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Nice of them to consider dropping their fee.

I had thought about starting a petition drive to charge fees at JeffCo open space parking lots to any vehicle that doesn't have either a JeffCo or Denver County plate (Denver Mountain Parks does a fair amount of cooperative work with JeffCo). That way, all the mountain bikers who come down from Boulder could assist in upkeep of our parks here in JeffCo.

Postby tgangelhoff » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:41 am

Steve,
Being a fellow Jeffco resident, I would be the first to sign any petition that would involve the charging of Boulder County residents to use our trails.
Todd

Postby crestone14ers » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:02 am

However, City Council members said people who visit Boulder to shop on the Pearl Street Mall aren't necessarily the same people who use open space.

I'll tell Boulder one thing!

For the near forty years that I have climbed in Eldorado Canyon, Boulder Canyon, hiked the peaks above Boulder, I have almost always stopped in for a beer or two and some food afterwards. Sometimes I'll head to one of the natural foods stores and also do some shopping if time permits.

The fact is since the fee program has been instituted, I have only one time visited the pay lots to take some out of town family on a hike at the South Mesa TH. We then went to Southern Sun for beers and lunch afterwards. One time mind you!

Boulder should realize the enormous amount of tax revenue they're missing out on a program that essentially is paying the salaries of some government folks... and it's a money losing, taxpayer funded program to begin with.

Boulder's very narrow, myopic perspective is not only regressive but a downright money losing proposition! Not to mention that stench of exclusivity that runs rampant in that NIMBY kind of town!
“The strength of an individual is not measured by how much one can control others, but by how much one can control oneself.” Hidy Ochiai

Postby Bean » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:41 am

SteveBonowski wrote:Nice of them to consider dropping their fee.

I had thought about starting a petition drive to charge fees at JeffCo open space parking lots to any vehicle that doesn't have either a JeffCo or Denver County plate (Denver Mountain Parks does a fair amount of cooperative work with JeffCo). That way, all the mountain bikers who come down from Boulder could assist in upkeep of our parks here in JeffCo.

It doesn't need to be JeffCo or Denver only, just anywhere that's not Boulder.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby ajkagy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:03 am

crestone14ers wrote:Boulder's very narrow, myopic perspective is not only regressive but a downright money losing proposition! Not to mention that stench of exclusivity that runs rampant in that NIMBY kind of town!

I don't blame anybody for not wanting to spend their time or money in Boulder. I used to live there, the politics and some of the people are on a different planet, hence why they call it the Boulder bubble. Yes, the hypocrisy and NIMBYism is sickening sometimes...at least they have good beer :)
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby TallGrass » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:11 pm

tgangelhoff wrote:Being a fellow Jeffco resident, I would be the first to sign any petition that would involve the charging of Boulder County residents to use our trails.

Would be interesting to see the resulting PR if the other 63 counties instituted/proposed/mulled "Fee: Boulder County Tags Only, Others: Free" parking to "recoup fees charged in BoCo to non-BoCo users." Fair's fair, right?
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Tempelton » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:47 pm

Booo. Luckily, there is parking very close to every pay trailhead that is free. I will go the extra mile to be a cheapskate.

Next