Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Boulder may drop TH fees

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Boulder may drop TH fees

Postby Tony1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:36 am

Posts bashing Boulder... check. Like clockwork.

Postby Bean » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:35 am

Tony1 wrote:Posts bashing Boulder... check. Like clockwork.

Bubbler posting bashing Boulder bashers ... check. Bubbler failing to understand why people are bashing Boulder ... check. Like clockwork.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Ed Matthews » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:11 am

I was born and raised here in Boulder and as such I may be biased on this issue. Boulder trail use is higher per year than RMNP yet we charge fees only to people from out of the county, perhaps to make it more fair/less of a waste of time, we should be charging everyone, Boulder residents included. I for one would not mind paying 25 dollars a year to use the trails that I use 3-4 times a week, it seems like a small price to pay for to help maintain something that has been and will remain a major part of my life. I feel the same way about the Annual Parks pass, it is 80 dollars but I use the National Parks so much during the summer that it is worth it. Also by charging everyone enforcement should be easier, rather than having to look up each car to see if they are a BoCo resident you would simply look for a tag or a pass. Just my opinion! Enjoy!

Postby Tony1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:49 am

Bean wrote:
Tony1 wrote:Posts bashing Boulder... check. Like clockwork.

Bubbler posting bashing Boulder bashers ... check. Bubbler failing to understand why people are bashing Boulder ... check. Like clockwork.

No, I do know why, thanks. I'm merely pointing out the silly hivemind reaction to anything Boulder-related. If I wanted to bash on a place, I could say the same "bubble" crap about Colorado Springs or Provo, for example. But I don't because I'm not an a**hole.

Postby jsdratm » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:31 am

All of you hikers not cool enough to live in Boulder County will just have to:

Seriously though, parking at NCAR is free and you can access everything from South Boulder to Flagstaff via the trail system. There is no reason to use the fee trailhead by Shadow Canyon, especially when the upper part of the canyon is closed.

Postby Tony1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:07 pm

Also the parking lot at NCAR is huge and probably never even comes close to filling up.

And although the Gregory Canyon TH has a fee, the main Chautauqua lot is free, as is street parking.

Postby Kapelmuur » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:34 pm

As the OP of this thread, I feel a little double-crossed by the Boulder city council on this one. "Not only will out-of-county residents not get a break at the local TH's, they'll pay even more AND THEY'LL LIKE IT!!! Muahahahaha!" I have a few choice expletives reserved for those politicians should I run into them next time I'm on Pearl Street...

Ed Matthews wrote:I for one would not mind paying 25 dollars a year to use the trails that I use 3-4 times a week, it seems like a small price to pay for to help maintain something that has been and will remain a major part of my life.

I'm with you on this 100%. Were I an actual Boulder resident rather than that of an adjacent municipality, I would do my best to apply political pressure to make it happen. I used to live in [a large metropolis in another state] and would regularly pay $7 to park at a popular trailhead. After I would go and buy a Coke and Snickers at a local store. It was totally worth it and still way cheaper than going to the movies. $25 for an annual pass would be a bargain.

As it is, on behalf of my own Boulder County city, I invite anyone from anywhere to hike the trails here though you'd be bored senseless 5 feet out of the parking lot. And for what it's worth, hoping to finally get down to Jeffco this season check out the mountain biking and would happily fork over a fee. Get it done, Steve!
Long Live the Fighters
Unremarkable feats of bike racing, mountain climbing and life in the nation's perfect suburb.

Postby SteveBonowski » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:38 pm

I've gotten the monthly agenda from JeffCo Open Space, via e-mail, for a long time (meets in the first week of the month). I think I'll try to attend the March meeting to see what the thinking is about fees.

I can't speak for Boulder, but the JeffCo open space program is funded by sales tax dollars. Maybe Boulder just needs to nudge their sales tax rate up a bit, if they do in fact fund open space programs via taxation. If conservative Jefferson County can pass sales tax continuations every few years to support open space.............

Postby Bean » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:57 pm

SteveBonowski wrote:I can't speak for Boulder, but the JeffCo open space program is funded by sales tax dollars. Maybe Boulder just needs to nudge their sales tax rate up a bit

Yeah, sales tax there is way too low at 8.21%. They should definitely raise it.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Ceastar » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:16 pm

I sent my check in to Boulder Co Open Space in August so I could park my JeffCo car. Didn't receive the sticker until Jan. bc of a form error. Whoops. But, my point, I never was ticketed in 4 months of trail running at least 2 times a week up there. They can charge whatever they want, but until they hire someone to enforce it, no worries. Has anyone ever received a ticket?

Postby cheeseburglar » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:58 pm

Has Boulder ever considered a donation box?
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby speth » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:55 am

cheeseburglar wrote:Has Boulder ever considered a donation box?

Blasphemy... ;)
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.

PreviousNext