Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Yankee Boy Basin help...

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Yankee Boy Basin help...

Postby Fisching » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:40 am

SurfNTurf wrote: And my buddy ripped the oil pan out of his Toyota Camry on the same road. C'est la vie.

In my younger, stupider days, I took my Mazda 3 to within spitting distance of the bathrooms. Now I'd rather just walk an extra 20 minutes and save my car the abuse. There's a great parking area close to the 2WD trailhead at a signed junction, and the road is relatively mellow to that point. It's at the 6.9-mile mark according to the TH directions on this site.

That's funny - I didn't realize they were over.

The signed trail junction would probably be a safe goal for a Prius to reach. I wouldn't recommend any sedan with less than 6 inches of clearance to try for anything more as the road becomes considerably rougher after this turnoff.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:51 am

We parked our Outback at that junction last year, I believe. It still wasn't a very long hike; we left our car about 11:30 am and summitted by 2:30 or so. Driving to the place where the Blue Lakes trail started (well above the restrooms) would have saved maybe an hour each way.

On the way up the road, we kept seeing Subarus everywhere. At least 75% of the vehicles (other than ATVs) above the junction were Outback wagons or Forresters. It was like they were filming a commercial up there or something...
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby apasquel » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:22 am

Thanks for the good info...sounds like I should sfaely get my car to the Y junction...or just rent an ATV if I just want to get closer. I am a visual guy...so I am trying to spot the Y on google earth. From the main HWY, how far is the Y from the HWY (mile marker)?

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:31 am

apasquel wrote:Thanks for the good info...sounds like I should sfaely get my car to the Y junction...or just rent an ATV if I just want to get closer. I am a visual guy...so I am trying to spot the Y on google earth. From the main HWY, how far is the Y from the HWY (mile marker)?

Per Bill's route description, looks like its 6.9 miles from 550, then its 7.7 to the bathrooms (so you stop 0.8 shy).

Postby Fisching » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:48 am

apasquel wrote:Thanks for the good info...sounds like I should sfaely get my car to the Y junction...or just rent an ATV if I just want to get closer. I am a visual guy...so I am trying to spot the Y on google earth. From the main HWY, how far is the Y from the HWY (mile marker)?

https://maps.google.com.br/maps?q=ouray,+co&ll=37.979555,-107.756052&spn=0.02236,0.052314&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Ouray,+Colorado,+United+States&gl=br&t=m&z=15

If you cross a wood bridge, you went too far. Honestly, don't overthink the extra distance. It's minimal and Sneffels from the Yankee Boy Basin routes are some of the shortest on any 14er.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby madbuck » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:15 pm

Fisching wrote:

https://maps.google.com.br/maps?q=ouray,+co&ll=37.979555,-107.756052&spn=0.02236,0.052314&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Ouray,+Colorado,+United+States&gl=br&t=m&z=15

If you cross a wood bridge, you went too far. Honestly, don't overthink the extra distance. It's minimal and Sneffels from the Yankee Boy Basin routes are some of the shortest on any 14er.

Right on, and the lower (below restroom) parking provides a more satisfying 3k foot gain on the legs, and it's a pretty place to spend time walking around anyway.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:26 pm

Wouldn't it be great if we had some sort of distributed network of computers that all communicated with the same protocol, so we could then take that network of computers and use it for streaming videos of people driving to trailheads.

Postby bking14ers » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:36 pm

Last August I went up to the overflow parking lot in a Toyota Yaris. It's about 100yrds. from the TH. My climbing partner had some other shitter type rental and he also made it. A couple drags here and there, but not bad. That road is not realy a 4x4 road to the TH. It's more like a very rough 2 wheel drive road. GO SLOW!!!

Previous