Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Car Camping near Gothic (Summer)

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Car Camping near Gothic (Summer)

Postby Floyd » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:22 pm

I'm hoping to take the kids up to Gothic this summer (end June - early July) for some car camping. Unfortunately, it appears that the closest reserve-able camp site is by Lake Irwin which is farther than I'd hoped to be. I found this site, but again, can't reserve it. How plentiful are dispersed campsites back there? Should I just reserve the Lake Irwin site to be safe or should I have a pretty good chance at finding something that works?

Thanks in advance.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Re: Car Camping near Gothic (Summer)

Postby matpedw » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:06 am

In 1995 I pulled into the Gothic campground at about 10:00 p.m. on Labor day weekend and there were still plenty of spots. Not sure how much things have changed though.

Postby specmiata37 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:05 pm

I've had the same experience camping there. No issues finding a spot. This was also during the wildflower festival in July. One of my favorite camping spots in Colorado.
"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings."
John Muir

grenouille verte
Colorado Cajun

Postby thetexan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:13 pm

Copy/paste in Google maps: 38.965542,-106.991714

We've car camped many times in the summer, and plenty of availability when we've been there. Perched up on a hill with a great view of the side of Gothic right outside our tent. Awesome. From this camp, there is a nice little hike/walk up to Judd Falls.

Also, we also camped up Slate River Road (Co. Rd 734); lots of places to camp. Some at the base of 'Oh Be Joyful' creek, (which is another great easy hike along the river with several mini waterfalls), others a little past that on the left. Stay on the road/path, the 'slate' can puncture tires!!

Pic's looking at Gothic from our tent at the first place described above. This is July 2011: