Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

A few camping questions.....

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

A few camping questions.....

Postby Teeboy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:11 pm

I will be in the Ouray-Silverton area and finish my trip at Lake Como in the Sangres. Will hopefully be there in late June....Early July. If everything goes as planned! [-o<

1. What is the camping situation at Navajo Lake? Crowded? Plenty of tent areas? General thoughts/advise.
2. Similar questions for Ice Lakes Basin. Stay in Upper Basin? Lower Basin? Crowded? Thoughts/advise?
3. Similar questions for Lake Como.

I really appreciate any advise/thoughts.

Re: A few camping questions.....

Postby DaveLanders » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Teeboy wrote:I will be in the Ouray-Silverton area and finish my trip at Lake Como in the Sangres. Will hopefully be there in late June....Early July. If everything goes as planned! [-o<

1. What is the camping situation at Navajo Lake? Crowded? Plenty of tent areas? General thoughts/advise.
2. Similar questions for Ice Lakes Basin. Stay in Upper Basin? Lower Basin? Crowded? Thoughts/advise?
3. Similar questions for Lake Como.

I really appreciate any advise/thoughts.

1. I haven't been to Navajo Lake in many years, but at the time, we didn't have any trouble finding a spot in the trees near the lake.

2. I've camped in the Lower Ice Lake Basin twice. There will probably be many more dayhikers than campers.
The Upper Ice Lake Basin is well above treeline. This would not be nice in a thunderstorm; you would also have the issue of
how to secure your food from varmints.

3. Lake Como has lots of room, but it can also attract a lot of traffic from 4wd's and ATV's. There is also a good camping spot
near the Little Bear turnoff, but still in the trees.

Postby TravelingMatt » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Navajo - Several spots near the lake on both sides of the trail. Also possible to camp above treeline around 12,000 feet or even higher.

Ice - All the space you want at the upper lakes, and beyond (say, at Fuller Lake), but as mentioned, no natural shelter. I'd still choose the upper lake for the scenery.

Como - Lots of options here. About 100 vertical feet above the lake there is a large, quiet area to the left of the road that can accommodate several tents. If doing Blanca/LB you can find spots near or above treeline as well.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Teeboy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:20 pm

Awesome! I really appreciate the feedback! I am so ready for COLORADO! \:D/

Postby CO Native » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:38 pm

Navajo - Campfires are banned in the Navajo Lake area so don't plan on having one. Lot's of sites, but heavily used area. Toilet paper under every rock in the more popular sites near the lake. Be sure to filter the water well.

Como - Lots of use there, it's best to camp up beyond the lake a little. There is a bear problem in the area so be sure to take appropriate precautions when camping.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com